Sherline Mill Movable Work Surface

JohnnyTK

The Journey of Knowledge Continues
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Having just purchased a Sherline mill that is in a loft style apartment and I want to add flexibility to my work space. I currently have a work bench with a solid top and a assembly table, but saw in a machinist publication a mobile work bench for a lathe with storage and was wondering if anybody has done the same thing with a mill? As I want to enclose the mill on 4 sides with sound absorption and also to prevent swarf from going in all directions. Does anyone have thought's on this or experience. I have not been able to find any pictures of this kind of setup. Thanks

I just mounted my 5400 on a 2" thick piece of melamine-coated MDF with 6 rubber feet underneath and sat it on the top of a Craftsman rolling tool chest. I use a very high tech, 12" high cardboard surround that stops the chips in the back and on both sides. Works fine for what I do with it. No matter what you do, short of totally enclosing it, you are going to have some noise and chips will escape. You can contain most of both but you'll have some; such is machining.

Back