Sherline + Igauging Linear Dro; Possible?

karim

Registered
Registered
I'm looking into DRO options for my Sherline setup... There are some things I don't like about the OEM solution. Has anyone successfully installed iGauging DROs on Sherline machines?

On the lathe, the lead-screw looks relatively easy, but I'm having trouble seeing how I might get the reading head set up on the cross-slide.

On the mill (2000), again, I think I can fit the Y axis pretty easily, but X & Z look a little more problematic.

Am I crazy to consider this? Anyone know of DROs that have a smaller installation footprint than iGauging that might work better on a small machine?

I have been wandering the same thing on my 4400 lathe and 5400 mill. The problem with the sherline DRO from what I can see is backlash as it takes into account the amount of turn in the hand wheel, not the movement of the axis etc. thus if you have a few thou backlash as most sherline have it does not take that into account. where a DRO would let you see how much something moves no mater how much the hand wheel has moved. At least that is what I see so I may be wrong. I just have not figured how to mount part of it.

Yeah, that's my main dislike of the Sherline DRO—it reads hand wheel revolutions, not linear movement.

I purchased an iGauging DRO so that I'd have something to physical to test against. Here's what I've found:
  • I also have the 4400 Lathe. I think I can easily fabricate brackets to mount the DRO rail on the back of the lathe, and secure the reader to the bottom of the carriage.
  • Out of the box, I don't see a way to mount the iG DRO to the cross-slide/carriage. I had hoped I could mount it under the leadscrew, but the reader head is too large to fit between the leadscrew and the base of the lathe.
  • On the 2000-series mill, I'm pretty sure I can fab brackets for the Y-axis by mounting the rail along the base of the mill, with a long bracket to connect the reader head to the table carriage.
  • Z-axis may be doable, but might involve some very complicated brackets to mount the DRO rail to the back of the Z-axis, and the reader head to the headstock mount
  • The X-axis will be much more difficult, because the clearance between the Y-axis screw and the top of the table is less than the thickness of the reader head, so even mounted horizontally, the reader head would protrude above the table.
I'm traveling for work at the moment, but when I get home, I'm going to disassemble the reader head enclosure and see if there's any way to repackage it in a slimmer profile.

I would also check out you Tube as for some reason I think I have seen one with them on it and you may get some Ideas from them. I want to do this but right now I'm cash poor and unable to purchase much for things like that. But if figured out I may go ahead and start working towards it. Ithe z axis on the 5400 would be a bit simpler I think, But the x axis I agree would be a pain. the only way I could think about it is put is make a bracket and put it even with the cross slide, for the y axis. on the back side THen make mounts for the other to the base. It does not mater if it is centered on the y or not as long as you have full travel on it. The lathe I do not know a way without taking up room needed on the side of the cross slide. which would limit the tail stock setup. The way I suggested for the Mill would not realy work as it would be sticking to far out he back of the lathe and be in the way more. It would also not have a way to support it properly.

When I get back home this weekend I'll post some more findings, and if I make any progress, I'll let you know.

someone on this site did real neat cross feed install on a 12" craftsman / atlas. maybe he will chime in here and show what he did. . .

Was looking at some searches and although they do not mount the same type they do show some mounts for different stuff. see attached doc. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• links.rtf
    41.5 KB · Views: 76
Those look pretty close to what I was thinking.

I'm back home and after a closer look at both Lathe and Mill, it looks possible.

I'm going to start with the 4400 lathe, as it looks like the simpler job. My goals are to:
  1. Not limit machine travel/function
  2. Avoid permanent modifications as much as possible
  3. Be easily removable (wholly or partially) for machine maintenance
  4. Consider swarf/oil accumulation areas in placement of rails/head/wires
Gonna order DROs for X & Z for the lathe and start working on brackets based on the DRO I have. Will post progress as I go.

Last edited:
Ordered DROs for the lathe last night. I wish I could buy the reader heads and the tracks separately... The 4400 Z-axis has an absolute travel of 15 1/2", so I'm forced to choose between 12" and limiting the measurable travel, or getting the 24" track and wasting almost half of the track.

Also disassembled the reader head of the one sample I already have. Looks like if you need a smaller footprint, a smaller casing could be fabbed around the reader circuitry. I think I can get by without that level of mods. One thing that might interest others about these DROs... there is actually a standard micro USB male cable end and socket inside the reader-head. The cable just plugs into a socket on the circuit board, and the plastic casing covers it up.

Last edited:
In the words of my 3 y.o. son the other day, "And so it begins".

Moved my lathe to my primary workbench so I can get at all sides.

I started the brackets by making paper templates. You can see here the templates for the two brackets that will hold the lead-screw track. Note that these brackets will attach on the same screws that mount the lathe to the base. Easy win there.

lathe-1.jpg
lathe-2.jpg

To get a better handle on the positioning for the reader heads, I removed the tailstock, lead-screw hand wheel, and cross-slide, and disassembled the carriage.
lathe-3.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to drill a couple of mounting holes here to mount a bracket. After some sketching, I've come up with a bracket design that I think will work. I'll have one bracket that attaches both reader heads (Z & X) to the carriage. The Z head will move with the carriage on the Z-axis. The X head will be fixed to the carriage, with its track fixed to both ends of the cross-slide. This gives a more compact fixture, as I don't have to account for the length of the reader head on the end of the cross-slide, and the cross slide track can pass under the lead-screw. The bracket connecting the far end of the cross slide to the track will be a little funky, but not too bad.
lathe-4.jpg

Here's the template taped to the carriage. The X-head will mount under the horizontal part, and the Z-head will mount across the vertical part. The pop-up at the end of the X mount (where my fingers are holding up the paper) will be an attachment point for a piece of flashing that will cover the two reader heads to prevent swarf/oil accumulation.
lathe-5.jpg

Here's me cutting out the main bracket on my baby band saw.
lathe-6.jpg

The three brackets rough-cut and blued for marking. Next is drilling, filing & bending.
lathe-7.jpg

Last edited:
Back