Sherline Boring Depth Question

Dear Mr. Hall,
Thank you for your reply and link to the smaller boring head. I would have responded sooner, but have been away on holiday. The only regret of the holiday was that your book "Dividing" did not come soon enough for me to take it along for my reading material. I have been using several of your books in the Workshop Practice Series and really appreciate the time and effort you put into them. The projects I have completed have all been very helpful in the shop. I look forward to the dividing head project and will give the boring head a go before I start the dividing head.

Sincerely,
Tom Harper

Thanks Bernie and Mikey,
That info definitely gives me some options and a better understanding for approaching such questions. Bernie, thanks for pointing out the need to observe. I am pretty new to this and feel like I am wading around in the shallow end of a very large body of water. It's exciting, but I am wary of not knowing what I don't know. The last thing I want to do is mess up my lathe or mill. I've never failed to surprise myself with the clever ways I can manage to do stupid things when I don't know much about what I am doing. Okay, off to make some decisions. I am looking forward to starting this project, but have to go on a vacation first. Life is tough sometimes. :). I'll post some shots once I get started.

-Tom

Also check the index markings on the adjustment dial to see if they are radius or diameter. Take your time. If you get a dust cloud from the boring use a shop vacuum. Good Luck

Thanks again Tom for your comments, it is always encouraging to hear that ones work is being found useful.

Further to my comments about the mini boring head and it being a good subject to learn how to use the lathes faceplate, it occurs to me that the more general article on my website on using one would also make useful reading before starting the head.

You may of course be experienced at using the faceplate in which case, sorry for implying otherwise. There will though, I am sure, be some reading this who find using the faceplate something to be avoided, as I did in my early metalworking days.

The article I am referring to is “Lathe’s Faceplate, Methods for Using” and can be found here http://www.homews.co.uk/page268.html

Another item that may help some are my compact faceplate clamps. These, when holding smaller workpieces, make the task of holding and positioning a part so much easier than using conventional clamps. See “Faceplate and Angle plate Clamps” here
http://www.homews.co.uk/page39.html

Hope this is helpful to someone.

As you mention my books I would like to highlight a situation that has arisen regarding them, I may though have mentioned it on the forum before but it is worth repeating.

Some of my books are now being published in the US but unfortunately, in my estimation, with a different title and front cover. This has resulted in some purchasing one only to find that he/she already has the book in the original workshop practice series.

If one is purchasing a book of mine and are unsure, then I detail the duplication on my website, see
http://www.homews.co.uk/page12.html

Follow the links to the individual pages for each book.

Harold Hall

Re: Sherline Boring Depth Question & Criterion Boring Head

Hi Mikey,
I have a Criterion DBL-202 and I think it would be ok to use it on my Sherline 5400. but Criterion doesn't make an adapter. Did you make your own adapter?
I suppose I could turn down the Criterion 1/2" adapter to 3/8" ... or, bore out the Sherline 3/8" holder.
What do you think?
Thanks... Maurice

I use a Criterion S-1-1/2A on my 5400. It is a square head that is solid, well-balanced and accurate. It is tiny but just the right size for this mill. Using an adapter, it screws right onto the spindle and it can be extended farther than the Sherline head before vibration becomes a problem. I've only used this head and the Sherline head so cannot attest to how well others work but the S 1-1/2A is a really good one and I really like it.[/QUOTE]

You can make an adapter, OR drill and tap 3/8 thread at the bottom if the 7/8-20 hole, like I did, and thread a Sherline arbor right onto it. It fits PERFECTLY around the 3/4-16 spindle and nestles the boring head right up near the headstock. Saves almost an inch of travel too.

I don't remember if I posted a pic of it on this thread, or another thread.

Bernie

Back