Sherline 2000 8-Direction Mill

Andre, I looked at Taig mills long enough to not like the way the motor was supported. I'm sure it is plenty stout in person but it looked weak on the web. I was also impressed by Sherline's array of accessories and the conspicuous thought that seems to have gone into each little thing. Circumstances constrict my choices to small machines. As someone else pointed out, Sherline makes it easy to use a mill which has the steppers already installed which means I can boot-strap my shop while I bring the CNC up to speed. My guess is most of the guys here would rather cut metal than mess with electronics, but I like both.

Businesses talk today about how their mission is to exceed their customers' expectations. It is all the rage, so to speak, but I'd say very few succeed. Sherline actually did it. I cannot believe how good this thing is in terms of finish, smoothness of lead-screw action, cleverness of the backlash-adjustment.

Joe Martin, recently deceased founder of Sherline was apparently a compulsive engineer/inventor/tinkerer, but with a difference. He seems to have developed all of his ideas well beyond simply making them work - he made them easy to understand and easy to use - quite a feat.

I cannot imagine that you haven't blanched at reading all of this sort of thing from other Sherline owners, but it seems to be true. If the machine can do what you need to do, it's hard to understand why you'd look anywhere else.

Back