Sheldon Lathe TLC

A 120/240 single phase motor will usually have two 120 V Run windings and only one 120 V Start winding. If he couldn't figure out how to wire it properly, maybe he has only one Run winding connected???

I have it running right now. It's a century, and they wire their motors kinda weird. Took me a while to get it right but I'm sure it's wired right now... just loosing the power to speed trade off. It cuts steel better than PVC.

The only other thing that I can suggest would be to hook an AC Ammeter up to the machine and see what percentage of the motor name plate full load amps it takes just to run the machine when not cutting.

Just an update: I did get the dials off. I have to drive a razor blade in between the dial and the frame. There was a bur raised on the collar (and I couldn't get the pig out or the collar) that was keeping it in place. The razor blade trick worked great with no damage to anything. A little 600 grit sandpaper and time smoothed everything out. now the dial turns easily.

If you tighten the thumb screw on it, will the dial stay where you set it? And if you then loosen the thumbscrew can you turn the dial? If so, I think that I would just use it without any further attempts to get the pig out.

Back