Sheldon EXL rebuild

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
You have to start somewhere. We took the E-drive out and are cleaning it up. You see one part with 40+ years of crud on it and another one cleaned ad painted. Ther are 4 needle bearings in the finished part. So far no bearing replacement is necessary.

"Billy G"

102_0717 (750 x 498).jpg 102_0718 (750 x 498).jpg

Two brackets done -- one to go. The motor is being shipped out today to be checked and redone if necessary. If I have to swap out the motor, I will go to a single phase replacement. The Cabinet is next. Should have this stage finished by Sunday.

"Billy G"

102_0721 (800 x 531).jpg

That is going to be one sweet lathe Billy when you get it done. Also glad to see you sitting the products you are using in your photos.
I was going to ask about the type paint, ect.... Even throw in a close up photo of the products you are using wouldn't hurt.

This is going to be nice to see coming together Billy!

John in Morristown

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the pic's of the finished product.

The products are nothing special. They are off the shelf at any big box store like Walmart. Purple Power best degreaser I have found. Brakleen removes really bad stuff by just spraying it on. Rustoleum Auto Primer etches itself into the metal to help prevent rust from coming back. Final paint will be a resin based.

"Billy G"

102_0722 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The bearings in this bracket are in good shape also. No replacement. These brackets are a bear to get apart. The last clip holding that arm will have to be broken off.

"Billy G"

102_0723 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0724 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a call from the Motor Man. Everything except some of the hook up wires is OK. I told him to replace them all to code and I'll pick it up Monday if it's done. Another plus.

"Billy G"

Just got a call from the Motor Man. Everything except some of the hook up wires is OK. I told him to replace them all to code and I'll pick it up Monday if it's done. Another plus.

"Billy G"

SO COOL! One step closer!

So far it has been a fairly simple straight forward project, but then this is the easy part. The Lathe itself is still to come. Three brackets done now all the shafts , etc. must be cleaned and replaced if necessary. I have to do it this way because the lathe needs to be moved thru the living room to get to the cellar workshop. Once the cabinet is down there it gets easier to move things in and mount them. Needless to say, the War Department is watching very closely.

"Billy G"

102_0725 (800 x 531).jpg

Yes, one must be very vigilant as to not ruffle the tail feathers of the War Department. We ALL know that! :))

Back