Shars vs. Little Machine Shop chuck quality

Pat of TN

Active User
Registered
Howdy fellers. I got a quick query for you all.

I'm going to finally get a four jaw chuck for my little Atlas. I am going to buy new, and I can't afford a more expensive chuck. This is down solely to Little Machine Shop vs. Shars.

What is everyone's opinion on the quality from each company? Will I be better off with one or the other, or should I just go with whatever one looks better because their little Chinese minions work in the same factory?

The prices, with shipping, are basically equal - $2 with a matching backplate and shipping.

For myself, I have bought from both companies once. Both were hassle free. With my previous Shars order, the item (an indexable end mill) broke prematurely, and I got a 100% free replacement. Having never dealt with LMS, I am leaning towards Shars for customer service, though only over a single event. Recently though I called them asking for different shipping options, and their CS person was rather... clueless? Not sure how to feel about that.

Anyway, done babbling. Thanks guys. I'm gonna be ordering within the next few days.

I can't speak on shars vs LMS. But I've purchased an inexpensive 3 jaw from Shars with a matching backplate and I was happy with it. I've never really had a problem with shars stuff and I've bought tons of stuff from them. Compared to some of the other import dealers out there, shars seems to care about the quality of what they sell, and their prices are a just a tad more than some of the really low quality chinese stuff, but, i think they screen their wares a little better.

I can't speak on shars vs LMS. But I've purchased an inexpensive 3 jaw from Shars with a matching backplate and I was happy with it. I've never really had a problem with shars stuff and I've bought tons of stuff from them. Compared to some of the other import dealers out there, shars seems to care about the quality of what they sell, and their prices are a just a tad more than some of the really low quality chinese stuff, but, i think they screen their wares a little better.

I,ve purchased quite a bit from lms and never had a problem.

wayne

I have bought from both companies and both have been good to deal with.

I bought a 3 jaw chuck from Shars and have been happy with it (about 3 years old). Would buy from either company without hesitation.

Thanks or the responses so far, keep 'em coming guys. I believe I am going to order from Little Machine Shop. If the two are basically fine and dandy, I reckon I'll get the one that looks nicer...

i have bought from both companies and was satisfied with both companies.
i have not had a problem with either company.
as for a 4 jaw chuck, a cheap chuck can still be zero'd in just like an expensive one.
3 jaw chucks are a little more of a different story.
i have bought cheap 3 jaw chucks but they usually have .003" or more runout.
but that's usually ok for hobby and tinkering anyway.

good luck with your purchase
mike:))

Ah-yup!

That being said I feel the same way about LMS. I would rate either of them above the lowest price importers like Harbor Fright or JTS.

I have shopped happily with both. They both ship quickly and package well. LMS customer service is top notch. Have never needed Shars customer service so I can't say.

The way I decide which to buy from is to make up my list of stocking stuffer type stuff that I am getting as long as I am paying shipping and see which one can fill all the items I want at that time. LMS beats all vendors on stuff they carry for the mini-mill and mini-lathe. Shars has a lot broader variety of stuff they carry.

Wholesale Tool is another purveyor of the finest cheap stuff coming from China. Sometimes they have a good sale price or coupon as well.

Well, the folks at LMS are now $128 richer. Got a 4" four-jaw and 4" backplate headed my way now.

I've never ordered from Shars directly, but I have had excellent customer service from Discount Machine Shop on eBay. I've ordered over $1000 in shars tools from them in the past year and only had one issue. I received a Z height setter gauge for CNC use at work which had some sticking throughout the range of motion and they replaced it no problem. Next day shipping and paid for the postage of sending back the defective item. That's excellent service for a tool that was only $60. Their tools aren't Mitutoyo or B&S quality but amazing for the price.

Back