Shars indexable end mills?

Pat of TN

Active User
Registered
Hello everyone. I have a tooling question.

I am looking at getting an indexable end mill, mostly just to have one truthfully, but let's not worry about why. I'm wondering if anyone here has used indexable end mills from Shars?

Specifically I am looking at a 5/8, two-insert, APKT mill. I mainly just want to know if the mill body itself will hold up to use - not on mini-mills or mill-drills, but either 8x30 or full size Bridgeport-type mills. Machining various material from aluminum to mild steel, but nothing really ridiculous like A2. If I had to, I'd take it easy. Not worried about production or anything else, I'm mainly just wanting to try out an indexable end mill.

But, I don't want an end mill that will break (the cutter body itself, not the inserts) taking say .100 off mild steel. Especially with a 5/8 cutter... anyway, what do you guys at HM think of Shars indexable end mills? Thanks.

I bought the 3/4 APKT end mill from Shars. It will cut A2 .200 DOC with no trouble. It makes a much different noise than I expected but I think that is because I need to increase RPM. Just need to be more brave, maybe try some aluminum first.

Sorry but I only have a RF45 clone mill drill rather than a BP.
Dave

Specifically I am looking at a 5/8, two-insert, APKT mill. I mainly just want to know if the mill body itself will hold up to use - not on mini-mills or mill-drills, but either 8x30 or full size Bridgeport-type mills. Machining various material from aluminum to mild steel, but nothing really ridiculous like A2. If I had to, I'd take it easy. Not worried about production or anything else, I'm mainly just wanting to try out an indexable end mill.

But, I don't want an end mill that will break (the cutter body itself, not the inserts) taking say .100 off mild steel. Especially with a 5/8 cutter... anyway, what do you guys at HM think of Shars indexable end mills? Thanks.
I have one and I've taken more that .100 off with it. I've taken more than .100 off with cheapie indexable carbide end mills, probably at least .150, they haven't broken.

Remember you're running them quite fast so the bite isn't as much as it would be with HSS.

Oh, wow. Okay, that is great to hear. I was a bit dubious about Shars stuff after reading a few things on other sites (that are less HM-oriented...), but that's a big vote of confidence. Huh. Thanks, guys! That's great.

How do you feel about inserts, then? Did you buy your inserts from Shars, and if so are they acceptable, or would I need to step up to Hertel or Iscar or something like that?

Oh, wow. Okay, that is great to hear. I was a bit dubious about Shars stuff after reading a few things on other sites (that are less HM-oriented...), but that's a big vote of confidence. Huh. Thanks, guys! That's great.

How do you feel about inserts, then? Did you buy your inserts from Shars, and if so are they acceptable, or would I need to step up to Hertel or Iscar or something like that?
Inserts came from Shars, it was just easier that way. They're fine.

I've used many Shars inserts with good success.
Dave

You can get great buys on inserts from Ebay. Shars inserts are OK, but nothing special. Shipping is where they hurt you.

You can get great buys on inserts from Ebay. Shars inserts are OK, but nothing special. Shipping is where they hurt you.

I cut the shipping by half (and got USPS instead of UPS customer counter pickup) by calling them on the phone.

Back