Sharp Milling Machine Help

bobby light

Active User
Registered
Have been trying to find a decent Bridgeport J model for quite some time now. Today I ended up with a Sharp-LC HMV Milling Machine. So far it appears to be a clone of the Variable Speed Bridgeport. Machine has minimal backlash, and came with X axis Servo 150 power feed. Also came with an acuright III DRO

I believe it has an R8 spindle taper, but when I looked inside the spindle taper I don't see the little key way for the the collets to slide into. Is that correct? From all my research I don't believe Sharp HMV mills were made with a different spindle.

Last I was missing the draw bar, but other then that the machine is complete. Can I purchase a draw bar from enco and if so what's the best way to determine size?

Give me a few and I will get some pics of the machine. It's still loaded on the trailer. Not looking forward to moving it.

The head was swiveled upside down for transport.
IMG_0781_zpscc0a7535.jpg

I flipped the photo :)
IMG_0782_zps54d5ea99.jpg

IMG_0783_zps3df4038e.jpg

IMG_0786_zps35af72c8.jpg

IMG_0789_zps4b780dd9.jpg

IMG_0784_zps9fb95ec7.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Sharp HMV Milling Machine Help

Yes, the Sharp mills (and nearly all knee-mills now) take R8 shank tooling and collets. A drawbar would be a good project if you have a lathe. I believe the R8 shank collets and tooling is 7/16"-20.

Re: Sharp HMV Milling Machine Help

Yes, the Sharp mills (and nearly all knee-mills now) take R8 shank tooling and collets. A drawbar would be a good project if you have a lathe. I believe the R8 shank collets and tooling is 7/16"-20.

Yes I have a few lathes :)

SB 13, SB 9 and a SB Heavy 10

So why is there no key way inside the spindle taper for the collet to align with and slide in?

- - - Updated - - -

Id like to get the machine running asap

Figure this is what I need?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=209-9016&PMPXNO=947840

They key's break off. Not really a problem. Our sharps at school are more or less identical to the bridgeports we have. They have r8

I prefer it without the key way in there actually.lol I wouldn't worry about it. Run it....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks for quick replies. It was more of an impulse buy, which I don't like to do when it comes to machinery. For the price it was worth getting this nice machine that will need a little elbow grease to become operational, vs a worn out J head Bridgeport which people want an arm and leg for.

Already have a rotary phase convertor for it, just need to her her moved into the garage. Now I can sell my clausing 8520.

That table is covered in grease, but doesn't have a single drill or nick in it! Really happy with this machine, even though its an import which goes against all my other US made machinery, but I think this was a better buy vs a J head Bridgeport which would also have cost more money.

I love our sharps. Very nice machines. They are new but you can tell right off they are well built

Hey, seems like I read that when u invert the head like that u need to make sure you re oil the cups good and let the oil get back where it needs to be....

Hey, seems like I read that when u invert the head like that u need to make sure you re oil the cups good and let the oil get back where it needs to be....

Seems logical to me. I need to add a good amount to all the cups. Any recommendation on oils to be used for this machine?

Back