SHARING YOUR OLD BOOKS

Richard King

Bronze
Former Member
Hello everyone I am suggesting we start a new forum that we can ask the management about making for us called something like

"Sharing Your Old Books."

We won't limit it to only one type of book, You could send a list or the books you would like to share or you could ask if anyone had a particular book your looking for. I have a collection of several books I inherited that were part of a several thousand book collection from an old mentor and friend. The books could be about woodworking, auto repair, machining, grinding, heck I suppose old vintage books of any subject.

have to come up with a way we could copy them or mail them to each other. Maybe use Pay-Pal to hold a deposit until you got it back...I am open to all idea's

This is a idea that was tossed up today on another thread, but that group wants to limit the subject to Machinery Handbooks. (Typo) It's suppose to read Machinery's Handbook.......oops......sorry about that..
Even though I meant the same thing.....

Lets have both then forums if it's an issue.

Have a good day everyone.

Rich :allgood:

I edited the post, sorry about my typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be first on the list for that out-of-print book you have that shows how to survey machine tools Richard :)
I couldn't find one anywhere in my searching.
I've got some old Moore books (not Foundations... though) I'd be game to put on the list.

I would suggest approaching this issue with a huge dose of caution. Copyrights and trademarks rights have long lives. We do not want to be seen as thieves of some ones intellectual property. Rich you know exactly what I mean on this. So I think it merits a good bit of further discussion among the mods and admins before we start rolling this kind of suggestion out to the general membership. My initial take is nothing good will come out of it, but I am open to discussion first. Just sayin.....
Bob

I would suggest approaching this issue with a huge dose of caution. Copyrights and trademarks rights have long lives. We do not want to be seen as thieves of some ones intellectual property. Rich you know exactly what I mean on this. So I think it merits a good bit of further discussion among the mods and admins before we start rolling this kind of suggestion out to the general membership. My initial take is nothing good will come out of it, but I am open to discussion first. Just sayin.....
Bob

Thanks Bob,

I put it in the suggestion box forum today. It's an idea for management to discuss and decide not me. It's just a idea now. Rich

Making copies is risky legally, but treating things as a lending library should be above board. Lendee pays postage (book rate is cheap, but kinda slow), and places a deposit for the cost of the book, to be returned when the book is returned. Sounds like an interesting idea.

As an aside, there are a lot of books that are out of copyright that are available on google books. This could work for things that are out of print, but still under copyright, or which are not available from google books.

How practical is it to copy books? I'd think you would be at the copier all day and waiting for copious ink to be delivered.

In the museum(Williamsburg) where I was toolmaker, people were copying old books and it was depleting office supplies so much they had to ban it. We just plain lost volume C of an original 18th.C. Diderot encyclopedia. Those are about 18" square and 3" thick. Not returned. Unreplaceable.

As for original books,I have original "Precision Hole Location" and an original Conneley's book. I would not want to lend any books that I would not be willing to sell. I would not want to sell most of my books. Our membership has a lot of older guys (like me) in it. Despite the best intentions,death,hospitalization,declining health and other causes could cause books to become lost or not returned.

FORGET about it. I have no interest in trying to help with this book idea now. If anyone wants to borrow a book from me PM and I will try to help you out. I can not understand why some always have to be negative all the time.

Why is there disagreement? (You did ask for ideas.) Because there are good,reasonable reasons why it might not be a good idea to loan books. Especially out of print,valuable books by mail. I am a very generous person,but I have lost a few books to people right here in my own circle. Sometimes they have claimed,twice,actually,that the book was never loaned.

Getting lost in the mail is another reason I didn't think of. One year,between my co-worker Jon and myself,the USPS lost 5 letters. One was a car payment,and I was fined extra money when I paid off a car. I never knew the payment was lost,and the USPS didn't even respond to my letter about it.

To be specific,I lost my original "How to run a lathe",which was loaned to my step father. Lost. I lost a book on the history of lathe engineering. The guy claimed I didn't loan it to him. I lost my original "The Amateur's Workshop" by Ian Bradley.Loaned it to a friend. Same deal. And,the reissues of that book have poor copies of the original illustrations. Those are there ones I can recall right now.

I have gotten to where I just GIVE a book or a tool to whoever. That way I can't get upset when I don't get it back.:)(This is really the truth) I gave away a 2" thick book on blacksmithing (Not that bad book the lawyer guy wrote,either!!Beasley???) because the guy I loaned it to was just not giving it back. I can go to the blacksmith's shop in Williamsburg if I need too know something,and my interest is not primarily in blacksmithing anyway. My machining books stay put,though.

Sorry you think everyone is negative. Perhaps cautious is a better description. You certainly may loan your own books at your own risk if you wish.

Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 088.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 085.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 086.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 087.jpgRich, ----I read your thread title and it was very interesting to me --I know there may be some problems of copying some books, but there is definately nothing illeagle of loaning a book to someone for information. I was hoping members could at least submit pics of the books others may be interested in searching for or maybe borrowing. I would trust members with any book I have. --Dave--* I'll include some pics of some of my machining books and if anyone is looking for any older automotive books I can send pics if I have what you are looking for in a private message--:))

Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 088.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 085.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 086.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 087.jpg

In a perfect society, Rich's idea would be a great thing, but I remember the old truism; "A BOOK LOANED IS A BOOK LOST". I have not lost many, because I have not loaned many, but a good example was "Schlesinger's Universal Tollerences" This is the book that sets out how much deviation is allowed in machine tool alignments (and realignments). It was an expensive book to replace, as it is out of print.

Back