Thanks Mike, I'm always interested to see what the capabilities of the other small machines are. The books all tell a person how and what to grind, but never really how much to safely take in one bite of a cut!
40 thousandths is a pretty decent depth, on a small machine anyways. As a matter of interest (or not) my ratchet pawl gives 5 thou stepover for each "click", so my finest feed is 5 thousandths and up to the 15 per step on a coarse feed. 8" shaper.

Thanks again for the info.

-frank

Hi Mikey,
thanks for looking.
the rounded nose removes a small amount of material ahead of the highest point of the radius of the tool, a kind of precut if you will.
i'm using this grind to rough out work
the finish is good, but not as smooth as a shearing bit
a shaper is just cool to watch and listen to, playing with it's capabilities is the icing on the cake!
thanks for your interest!
thinking on my part usually ends up with another project! :grin:

Got it. Like Daryl said, it must be soothing to sit back with a cup of coffee and watch that machine make something flat or cut a slot. I see these come up once in a great while in my area. Now I'll pay attention. Its not like I need more machines in here but you really do have me thinking. Appreciate the video, Mike!

here is a couple very cool videos i saw a while back that gave me some of the ideas involved with my grind design

i'll make a video of the process i used to make the cutter i used previously.

Last edited:
On my shaper, I use the F.W. Taylor roughing tool shape; it has a smallish nose radius with larger flank radii and side rake; it would cut more freely that the one shown with less power expended. By 26 years of experiments, Taylor proved it to be the most efficient tool for removing the most material in a given time. Taylor and his partner Maunsel White, developed the Taylor White process for hardening HSS to cut at high speeds; discovered by accident, it revolutionized machine work and the design and building of machine tools.

I would be interested in seeing a picture or two of that grind if you're able to post them.

-frank

OK, hopefully this works! details: this is a 3/8 X 5/8" tool. end clearance should be perhaps 2 or 3 degrees, side clearance is about the same or less, side rake is 14 deg. measured form the tool shown. note that this tool cuts from left to right, facing the ram, the right to left tool, having been used most was considerably worn and not so photogenic.
For tougher steel, the side rake might be reduced to perhaps 8 or 10 degrees; the end clearance could be less, perhaps only 1 or 2 degrees. There is nothing magic about the numbers, but shaper / planer tools need very little end or side clearance, since the tool does not feed sideways in the cut as on a lathe; with the side rake, use as much as you can without the tool tending to hog into the cut or break down on the cutting edge; the main thing is to use a relatively small radius on the nose of the tool, the one shown is about 1/16" radius, the side radii are perhaps 3/4" radius. this radius on the leading edge of the cut acts to prevent the tool from working its way downwards and cutting deeper.

shaper tool 010.JPG

shaper tool 011.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you! I look forward to giving one a try to see how it cuts. Thanks again.

-frank

Back