I keep a chair next to the table with my coffee and oil can next to my shaper.
A little old country & blue grass in the background.

Life doesn't get much better....

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
The shaper was the first tool I ran in my apprenticeship. I remember being told of an engineer who, puzzled by the silver chips turning blue on the floor, picked one up to watch it. He suddenly wanted to put it down, but it was fused to his hand.
Pleasant memories of that period.

Any chance we could see a close-up of the tool, Mike? And you're not kidding -- it really does peel off the stock! Depth of cut looks like maybe 0.1" with a 5 thou step-over?

Thanks,

-frank

Any chance we could see a close-up of the tool, Mike? And you're not kidding -- it really does peel off the stock! Depth of cut looks like maybe 0.1" with a 5 thou step-over?
Thanks,
-frank

Hi Frank,
the doc was about .040", the step over is relatively small, about 3 pawl clicks- i should put a dial indicator on it to see what 3 clicks translates to.

here is a couple pics (over ground for accentuated visual effect) for the peanut gallery!
Nbn426N5VTgeZVrVNbSIYk-xi_DHM0lw6ExU3bb_YmbvTnZWFrCchtZBjEfm_dy9lsZSyUXvxA=w480-h640-no.jpg

tool%2Bbit%2Bgrind.jpg

the pictures doesn't show it, but there is some side rake that's responsible for the nice curl of the chips!

Nbn426N5VTgeZVrVNbSIYk-xi_DHM0lw6ExU3bb_YmbvTnZWFrCchtZBjEfm_dy9lsZSyUXvxA=w480-h640-no.jpg

tool%2Bbit%2Bgrind.jpg

tool%2Bbit%2Bgrind.jpg

tool%2Bbit%2Bgrind.jpg

tool%2Bbit%2Bgrind.jpg

tool%2Bbit%2Bgrind.jpg

Last edited:
I've never used a shaper but it looks like a handy tool to have. I was wondering, Mike, what the advantage of a round nose tool is versus a flat tool with maybe more back rake. Is it because it provides a better finish? It would be fun to own a machine like that and mess around with tool geometry, just to see what happens. Now you have me thinking, which isn't good!

Hi Mikey,
thanks for looking.
the rounded nose removes a small amount of material ahead of the highest point of the radius of the tool, a kind of precut if you will.
i'm using this grind to rough out work
the finish is good, but not as smooth as a shearing bit
a shaper is just cool to watch and listen to, playing with it's capabilities is the icing on the cake!
thanks for your interest!
thinking on my part usually ends up with another project! :grin:

Hi Mike, Thank you for photos, can you put a sharpie mark on edge that is doing cutting or maybe a photo of tool mounted on machine with machine not cutting?

Thanks
michael

Neat video. I just moved my AMMCO 7" into my heated shop. I look forward to playing with it more.

Back