Shaper Motor Selection?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Started a thread here on motor reversal.
Sounds like it might be best to change out this motor with one which is more easily reversible.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/can-this-motor-rotation-be-reversed.50589/#post-425135

I'm wondering if anyone has opinion on motor hp and rpm.
She came to me with a 2hp, 1ph, 1750rpm mounted to a 4speed transmission.
From there she goes to a two step flat belt pulley.
I never get anywhere close to the 4th gear or the larger step on the flat belt.
I'm thinking an 1140rpm. Or perhaps a 1750rpm with fewer hp and changing out the V pulleys to run slower and make up for the lost hp.

Usually smaller hp and 1750 are easier to find and certainly cheaper.
Opinions?

Daryl
MN

IMG_1101.JPG

Last edited:
The only down side to reducing the motor HP that I can think of is that it will reduce your material removal rate. Unless you are going for high production, I'm thinking it will work fine.

Daryl---facing the front of the motor----which direction rotation is your current motor running?---clockwise or counter cloclwise----Dave

if you were to have a spare 3 phase motor,
you could install it and have the luxury of making the motor reversible by a drum switch or even by VFD maybe...:)

if you were to have a spare 3 phase motor,
you could install it and have the luxury of making the motor reversible by a drum switch or even by VFD maybe...:)

The VFD reversible is interesting. I'd also want to add a jog switch and a panic off. Who knows maybe even a flat belt guard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked the cache.
Except for the approximately 2hp 3ph I've got what I need to make this work.
Good suggestion.
I'm now on the prowl for a 3phase...
Thank you.

Daryl
MN

Daryl
Is that a 12"or 16", light or heavy duty?
2hp seems a lot for the smaller machines of 12" stroke when the 8" use's 1/2hp or less.
Many single phase motors are reversible. At least those designed for multiple voltage.
With a drum type switch, they could be run either direction.
Great looking machine you have there!

She is a 16inch Whip.
Evidently while they are around they are scarce.
She didn't look like that when she landed got put on my trailer...
The motor plate (pic) doesn't suggest reversibility.

Daryl
MN

IMG_1100 (2).JPG

Shapers, although they appear to be simply reciprocating ram machines, do have a "forward" and "reverse" direction for the drive. You want to make sure you have it correct.

Back