Shaper Extension Tool--shop Made

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone made a extension tool for their shaper for cutting internal keyways. I am planning to make one (hopefully) they don't look like they would be hard to make. I would just like to see someone elses design.

Here's one I made John. The shaft is 1 inch. Rather than try and broach a square hole for the cutter I milled it out and used rings to cover the rounded ends.

z6OCPfa15MFJATZfmdxuUqFmDFHcpEo_2qQMpBAydeyRGgn-uSaW6lMxnLwKr2VcBhK__njM67c-iPhu8=w1632-h1224-no.jpg

45rkHSlKIVIljtuIcsVkiVHGRNZzYMpDpfirY9Csl8zq7UwqUlCsA-IzI-H5M9vshItJOCwfRMuKqzvzY=w1632-h1224-no.jpg

Greg

Clever idea Greg! I've thought about making a tool also, but the square hole was a roadblock. Did you harden the rings?

Amazing , I logged on to ask this very same question .
Greg
Is your bar adjustable for lenght ?

I haven't made one but someplace I found this diagram of one that replaces the lantern rather than being mounted in it.

Attachments

• Logan Slotting Post for Keyways.pdf
    28.2 KB · Views: 310
Didn't make it adjustable, if I need a longer one I could fit a different bar to the holder.
I had one that went directly into the clapper of the Logan but the hole in the clapper of this shaper is too far up. I'd have to block the work up off the table to reach in it, thought that would give more chance of movement than the shank extending down.
On a side note, the clapper has to be locked down for the cutter to work. If the cutter is further below the hinge point than it extends forward it doesn't need to be locked down. The forward cutting force has to exceed the upward force.

Greg

thank you sir , that is a very useful bit of information .
might save some head scratching further down the road .

Back