Shaper and Lathe Lubrication

vocatexas

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I did some searching on the forum without success, so thought I'd ask here...

What type of oil do I need to lubricate my Atlas shaper and Lodge and Shipley lathe? The shaper's manual says to use a 'type 10' mineral oil in most places and a 'type 20' oil in a couple of places. Now, I worked for Texaco for 10 years, and I never heard of 'type 10' oil. Does this mean 10 W oil? The specs look more like an R&O 46 or 68 oil such as would be used in a turbine type water well pump. The lathe's manual gives some oil specs such as pour viscosity at 60F, but the oil specs I have access to are more modern and give viscosity at 100F.

I would really like to try my shaper out sometime this week, but I'm not about to run it without some sort of lubrication. It's going to be a while before I can even think about running the lathe due to several circumstances, but I could go ahead and get my oil and have it on hand when I'm ready to fire it up.

Any help would be appreciated.

The R & O 46 or ISO 46 oil is good for the Atlas and for the headstock of the L & S lathe. Use way oil for the slides of the L & S, and if you like, you can use it on the ways of the Atlas, too. I prefer to use ISO46 on the ways of lighter smaller lathes myself. Its a personal preference. My L & S Model X headstock called for a 20 wt oil originally. I used ISO 46 oil in the headstock.

Guess for ten or twenty mineral oil YA gotta go to the pharmacy. I think i use the light hydraulic oil ISO 38 ???.

I am working on getting my shaper up and running after many years of non-use and neglect. There is a thread on another website where they talk about a 50-50 mix of Way Oil (vactra) and DTE oil. Seems that the thinking is the vactra will stick to the gears and ways on the shaper better than just the DTE oil (Hydraulic oil).

I am working on getting my shaper up and running after many years of non-use and neglect. There is a thread on another website where they talk about a 50-50 mix of Way Oil (vactra) and DTE oil. Seems that the thinking is the vactra will stick to the gears and ways on the shaper better than just the DTE oil (Hydraulic oil).
I'd get a good quality chain lube , or chainsaw bar lube. It is tacky and stays where it's put. I would think a good gear oil may stick but not sure about it , the chain lube stays I know from motorcycle riding.

I use Vactra No 2 on the ways of my Atlas shaper as well as the drive bushings, I use a spray on Molycote open gear lubricant on the gears and non fiber wheel bearing grease in the grease cups for the bearing.

Back