Shank diameter of annular cutters

compact8

Registered
Registered
There seems to be two standards for the smaller size. One is 19.00 mm and the other is 19.05 mm. If the hole of the tool holder is 19.05, will it be ok to use tools with 19.00 shank ? Common sense says no but the vendor said its ok . Advice needed.

Thanks for the replies. Seems that I am just over worrying. There are two types of annular cutters supplied by local vendors as shown in the picture below. The one with a triangular shank and a drill bit at the center is about 80% cheaper. It is intended to be used on hand drills and drill presses. Both are claimed to be good for cutting thick stainless steel ( one inch ). Just wondering whether it's good for milling machine also. There has got to be a reason for it being so cheap.

Attachments

• cheap.JPG
    cheap.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 8
  • expensive.JPG
    expensive.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 8
Either one will work on a mill. The one on the left is for thinner material, up to about 1/2". The one on the right comes in different lengths for thicker materials.
Stainless can work harden if its overheated when cutting so sharp tools and proper feed and speed are a must.
Martin
Some good info here
https://www.hougen.com/support/FAQ/annular-cutter-FAQ.html

I have an arbor for my annular cutters that feeds coolant.

Back