Sewing machine accessories needed

Well after seeing all the work that B G Hansen does with sheet metal, I am almost embarrassed to post a progress report. I have absolutely no sheet metal "proper" tools, so everything I do is with drill press, mill, bandsaw, file and a lot of creativity to try and make the bends. Also while the originals are all made with a single piece of sheet metal, punch and formed, I made these in two parts, silver brazed together.

So this is the final production run of all the flat feeders. Still some polishing to do, but they are what they are.
final production of flat feeders.jpg

David

As long as it conveys the critical details who really cares if it doesn't meet standards?

After seeing real engineers for a few months, I'd say it isn't a WHO, but a WHAT that is the chief
concern. Lots of sheet metal gets cut with laser or waterjet nowadays, and it's CAM (computer-aided
manufacturing) 'drawings' that set that non-standard.

It mainly confused me, but the real engineers got good results from distant job-shop works, every time.

Well after seeing all the work that B G Hansen does with sheet metal, I am almost embarrassed to post a progress report. I have absolutely no sheet metal "proper" tools, so everything I do is with drill press, mill, bandsaw, file and a lot of creativity to try and make the bends. Also while the originals are all made with a single piece of sheet metal, punch and formed, I made these in two parts, silver brazed together.

So this is the final production run of all the flat feeders. Still some polishing to do, but they are what they are.

David, you are definitely too hard on yourself!
You obviously have the skills and tools necessary to reproduce these quite well.
Not to mention that you're the one that stepped up to help Diana.

Good on you!
-brino

Thanks Brino.

Trying to tackle this, made me realize how skill full Bruce is when he fabricates all those erector set parts out of sheet metal. And also what looks simple, well turns out not to be quite so. I find making something on the lathe or mill is one thing, but this sheet metal stuff takes me to a whole other place.

David

I stumbled across this thread (no pun intended), saw that someone had dimensioned the drawings and decided to give it a whirl in 3D printing world. Had to look at a couple of videos to see how it was used with a sewing machine. Somehow I thought it was supposed to be parallel to a presser foot orientation, YouTube showed me it installs at a right angle. Aha!

SolveSpace for the design, Prusa printer for the output.

A bit thicker than the sheet metal parts and more an 'exercise' than a 'project' but here's the result:

Who knows, it might even work!

CAD Drawing:

SewingFinger_3.jpg

The part on the printbed.
DSC02796.JPG

Another angle:
DSC02797.JPG

Last edited:
Very interesting. The tube at the end does have about a 45°. Although it is hard to tell in some of the videos the needle actually strikes the end of the tube as it grabs the embellishment hence the feeder has to flex somewhat. I was only told this after I made them, and hope that my sheet steel will offer the same characteristics.

David

Back