Setup Help With Acer Dynamic 1340g

Keep trying to convert the Controls or throw in the towel and use the VFD only?

• CONVERT - resistence is futile

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Lose the old and busted and stick with the new hotness -

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Suggested starting point for the Lenze SMV VFD programming parameters and explanations. It assumes you are using 2 wire control, this is a starting point:

P100 Start Control Source = 1 (Uses terminal strip to set start/stop source)
P101 Standard Reference Source = 1 (selects the speed source as 0-10VDC)
P103 Maximum Frequency = 75.0 (allows a little more top end speed range, and wider speed adjustment)
P104 Acceleration Time 1 = 5 seconds
P105 Deceleration Time 1 = 3 seconds (you need a braking resistor for anything shorter)
P111 Stop Method = 2 (The drive will ramp the motor to a stop according to P105 or P126)
P112 Rotation = 1 (Allows the motor to run in both forward AND reverse)

These configure the terminals inputs as to what they do, they are by default all turned off
Assuming you are using straight 2 wire controls (i.e. NOT using 3 wire start-stop-reverse) then:
P121 TB-13A Digital Input = 11 would be START FORWARD

P122 TB-13B Digital Input = 12 would be START REVERSE

P123 TB-13C Digital Input = 15 would be JOG FORWARD

P124 TB-13D Digital Input = 16 would be JOG REVERSE

P160 Speed at Minimum Signal = 0 (Hz)
P161 Speed at Maximum Signal = 75 (Hz, should be the same as P103)
P162 Analogue Input Filter = 0.5 (seconds, this will decrease motor speed wandering because of electrical noise)
P166 Carrier Frequency = 2 (sets carrier frequency to 8 kHz, if the motor whine is loud set it to 3 which is 10kHz)

Vector Parameters, these MUST be set to your motor parameters
P300 Drive Mode = 5 (Vector Torque or constant torque)
P302 Motor Rated Voltage = usually either 220V or 230V (Set to motor nameplate voltage)
P303 Motor Rated Current = _ _ _ (Set to motor nameplate amperage)
P304 Motor Rated Frequency = 60 (Hz, this is the base frequency of the motor on the nameplate)
P305 Motor Speed = _ _ _ _ (RPM, set to motor nameplate RPM at 60Hz)

P399 Motor Auto calibration = When you machine is up and running and everything is working, you can run this to fine tune the motor parameters.

mksj or anybody else out there listening. I've got one last thing that has been bugging me, and I was wondering if anybody know if there was a fix. So as above I have configured:

P121 TB-13A Digital Input = 11 would be START FORWARD
P122 TB-13B Digital Input = 12 would be START REVERSE

but what has been making me nuts is when neither TB-13A or TB-13B are closed it currently continues spinning forward. I was hoping that with both open it would stop spinning. Almost like a neutral control at the directional switch. Anybody have any thoughts why it could continue forward when neither is closed?

Everything else is working fine it's just one of those little things that's been bugging me.

My error, so per above parameters it is setup for 3 wire control with momentary switches, in order to stop you would need to have a NC stop switch that opens to interrupt the sustained run command. If you are using two wire control with sustained ON switches like the spindle direction switch, you need to use 2 wire control as shown below. The danger of this is that the lathe will restart after loss of power or the lever is accidentally knocked into the on position. Some VFDs have additional programing parameters to prevent this.
Change:
P121 TB-13A Digital Input = 13 Run Forward
P122 TB-13B Digital Input = 14 Run Reverse
SMV P121, 122.jpg

OK tried change P121 and p122 to 13 and 14 and it says fault. So I must have the wiring for start, but the switchs are for run. Here are the switches below

View media item 95709
And here is how I believe I have it wired:

wiring.jpg
So does that look right? for "Run" 2 wire mode rather than 3wire?

I seems like there is a problem with the Assertion Level which has to do with what is known as Sink and Source configuration, this determines the control inputs are setup as positive or negative terminals. The first thing is to check that the switch ALsw is set to negative. Per the diagram on page 20 it may be that the E-Stop may need to be in a NO configuration, and that closing issues a stop command. Try the current configuration with the E-Stop in the open configuration and see it the controls work.

Try setting the P120 Assertion Level to "1" instead of the default of 2.

Assertion Level Fault.jpg

Just saw your picture of the spindle switch wiring, and I think that may be the issue. The stop wire should not be connected. The spindle switch is setup with an input. You need to determine which terminal/wire is connected to the common input wire and closed (connected) for forward and which is (connected) for reverse. You do not use the stop wire terminal. You can check these with an ohmmeter. You need to see which is the common (input terminal), this needs to be connected together to the TB4/1 wire. You then need to set the spindle switch and see which contact is activated (closed) this goes to 13A, then in the reverse spindle setting the contact that closes and that goes to 13B.

Based on an old schematic for this lathe it looks like the following but you would need to check the connections first:
5 is forward would be connected to VFD terminal 13A
6 is reverse would be connected to VFD terminal 13B
7 is stop so would not be connected
8 is the common input would be connected to VFD terminal 4 and also the E-Stop/brake switch going to VFD terminal 1

Last edited:
Ok is the stop wire the bottom wire that is jumpered from one switch to the other? I tried switching the wires as recommended but then only forward worked. Just got the command down from the boss lady the in-laws are here... will go back out tonight with my ohmmeter to do some investigation.. thanks again.

It is a switch connection issue if the forward is now working. Leave the jumper. Using the current wiring, do not connect the wire #7 to anything, in the old system it was used to latch the power relay. Connect the wires labeled 5, 6 and 8 as described. You should disconnect the wires from the VFD end and check that when in forward, 5 and 8 have continuity, and not any other combination, when in reverse 6 and 8 have continuity and not other combination. The red jumper wire on the switch block needs to be left on if you use the wiring as connected.

There is also a different way that everything could also be connected if you start with everything disconnected from the switches, where both switch commons are connected to VFD terminal 4 and also the E-Stop/brake switch going to VFD terminal 1, and then one switch should close on forward (this is than wired to VFD terminal 13A), and the other closes on reverse (this is wired to 13B).

Alright some success! Only one small issue with the switch in "neutral" when I first power everything up it is off, however when I switch to forward or reverse , then back to neutral it continues running/spinning. If I tap the foot break it turns off and says off. I've confirmed that in neutral the VFD light is neither in forward or reverse . I'm 99% happy with it right now and if there isn't anything to control that I'm fine with tapping the foot break. I'm just wonder if there is any controls to give me that last 1%?

Back