Setup Help With Acer Dynamic 1340g

Keep trying to convert the Controls or throw in the towel and use the VFD only?

• CONVERT - resistence is futile

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Lose the old and busted and stick with the new hotness -

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ok I've got the VFD working
View media item 95698View media item 95699
Forward, Reverse, Speed control at the VFD. Still need to order the speed pot.

Now I just have to get the lathe controls working. The only thing that I really don't understand is the jog button. I'm going to rewire the contactors for momentary push. I think this will work the best as my forward and reverse is one leaver, and will hold down the switch until I "shift" the leaver out of the direction it's going and up into the next.

I uploaded a simple drawing of the wiring let me know if I'm even close. I haven't attempted to hook the control board up to the VFD yet as I'm still working on getting the contactors to behave as I would expect. Let me know what you think. I'll also try and get a picture of the forward/Reverse leaver switches to see if that explains what/if neutral should be.

simplewiring.jpg

The simple drawing does not have a system to prevent the system from restarting if you leave the spindle lever engaged. The spindle STOP position is used to reset the power relay. Normally the JOG button would be a momentary button that would activate the forward contactor/relay when depressed. So this is a full speed bump. It is also possible to wire it to directly activate the VFD inputs to JOG the machine and bypass the use of contactors. You might be a whole lot better off in not using the contactors and just use a single 4 pole relay control circuit. You can keep the stock transformer to power the lights, accessories. If you can not get your contactors to work as you want or want to do the single relay design, I have a control board from a 1340GT that I can rewire to fit your system. I would need to remount it on a larger control board and add a coolant contactor if you plan to use that in the future.
Mark

Thanks Mark I don't 100% think I understand, but I do have everything functioning the way I expect it to now. I move the lever up and it engages the forward contactor through the NC on the reverse. I move the lever to the middle and it disengages the contactor. I move the lever down and it engages the Reverse contactor through the NC on the forward. Stop button stops everything until reset. Foot brake stops everything until it's released. I'll look at wiring the jog directly to the VFD as well as adding a speed pot. Thanks for all the help I think I'm really close.

Now I just have to get the lathe controls working. The only thing that I really don't understand is the jog button. I'm going to rewire the contactors for momentary push. I think this will work the best as my forward and reverse is one leaver, and will hold down the switch until I "shift" the leaver out of the direction it's going and up into the next.

According to the manual of your lathe the jog switch is between line 4 and line 6 that activates the forward contactor. Line 9 activates the reverse contactor. You may use a DPDT switch to wire the lines and the VFD jog input to run the jog in both forward and reverse directions. I find having jog in both directions is very useful in meshing the gears and tapping.

According to the manual of your lathe the jog switch is between line 4 and line 6 that activates the forward contactor. Line 9 activates the reverse contactor. You may use a DPDT switch to wire the lines and the VFD jog input to run the jog in both forward and reverse directions. I find having jog in both directions is very useful in meshing the gears and tapping.

So something like this?
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...d_-a-_Non-Illuminated/Incandescent/GCX3281-24

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Unive...qid=1485232027&sr=8-2&keywords=dpdt+momentary

You can use a simple ON-ON bat type toggle switch that switches the return power to either the forward or reverse contactor, along with the current momentary push button. So this will set the bump direction.

I do something a bit different on my builds, I use a single 2 position momentary joystick, push up it connects the reverse contactor and down for the forward. These connect just like you spindle switch connections in parallel. So like a spindle switch that shuts off when it returns to center.

If you add another set of normally open contact blocks, these can be connected to P24 from the VFD to input 3 which sets the jog speed of 6 Hz. So you have two separate circuits operating. One set of contact switch blocks operates the forward or reverse contactor that then sends the spindle direction to the VFD. The other two connect to P24 and send the JOG speed signal. Otherwise the jog speed will be at the setting of the speed pot.
jog sw.jpgfront panel.jpg
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...s_-z-_Indicators/22mm_Metal/Joysticks/ECX1510
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...shbutton_Accessories/Contact_Blocks/ECX1040-2

You need to be aware that there are usually additional safety or redundancy in these system that would only allow the Jog to operate when the machine is in the stop position. You would not want the spindle lever in one direction and then accidentally hit the jog in the other direction. You could get the system up and running and also make these changes at a later time. On my lathe I just have a forward jog, I only use the JOG to check gear engagement and check TIR.

Last edited:
confused. I've got the speed pot all wired up to 2,5, and 6 on the terminal, but I'm not sure what to set in the code to control high and low. Below is the manual, i was looking at P156 and P160, P161, but I'm not sure I'm understanding what I should be setting to get the Pot to adjust correctly. I have the same Pot as in the above posts.

it's a 5k pot https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...dicators/22mm_Metal/Potentiometers/ECX2300-5K

http://www.precision-elec.com/wp-co...ch-smvector-operating-instructions-manual.pdf

Suggested starting point for the Lenze SMV VFD programming parameters and explanations. It assumes you are using 2 wire control, this is a starting point:

P100 Start Control Source = 1 (Uses terminal strip to set start/stop source)
P101 Standard Reference Source = 1 (selects the speed source as 0-10VDC)
P103 Maximum Frequency = 75.0 (allows a little more top end speed range, and wider speed adjustment)
P104 Acceleration Time 1 = 5 seconds
P105 Deceleration Time 1 = 3 seconds (you need a braking resistor for anything shorter)
P111 Stop Method = 2 (The drive will ramp the motor to a stop according to P105 or P126)
P112 Rotation = 1 (Allows the motor to run in both forward AND reverse)

These configure the terminals inputs as to what they do, they are by default all turned off
Assuming you are using straight 2 wire controls (i.e. NOT using 3 wire start-stop-reverse) then:
P121 TB-13A Digital Input = 11 would be START FORWARD

P122 TB-13B Digital Input = 12 would be START REVERSE

P123 TB-13C Digital Input = 15 would be JOG FORWARD

P124 TB-13D Digital Input = 16 would be JOG REVERSE

P160 Speed at Minimum Signal = 0 (Hz)
P161 Speed at Maximum Signal = 75 (Hz, should be the same as P103)
P162 Analogue Input Filter = 0.5 (seconds, this will decrease motor speed wandering because of electrical noise)
P166 Carrier Frequency = 2 (sets carrier frequency to 8 kHz, if the motor whine is loud set it to 3 which is 10kHz)

Vector Parameters, these MUST be set to your motor parameters
P300 Drive Mode = 5 (Vector Torque or constant torque)
P302 Motor Rated Voltage = usually either 220V or 230V (Set to motor nameplate voltage)
P303 Motor Rated Current = _ _ _ (Set to motor nameplate amperage)
P304 Motor Rated Frequency = 60 (Hz, this is the base frequency of the motor on the nameplate)
P305 Motor Speed = _ _ _ _ (RPM, set to motor nameplate RPM at 60Hz)

P399 Motor Auto calibration = When you machine is up and running and everything is working, you can run this to fine tune the motor parameters.

Yup it was just that simple. Wow did I go down the wrong rabbit hole there. Thanks!

Suggested starting point for the Lenze SMV VFD programming parameters and explanations. It assumes you are using 2 wire control, this is a starting point:

P100 Start Control Source = 1 (Uses terminal strip to set start/stop source)
P101 Standard Reference Source = 1 (selects the speed source as 0-10VDC)
P103 Maximum Frequency = 75.0 (allows a little more top end speed range, and wider speed adjustment)
P104 Acceleration Time 1 = 5 seconds
P105 Deceleration Time 1 = 3 seconds (you need a braking resistor for anything shorter)
P111 Stop Method = 2 (The drive will ramp the motor to a stop according to P105 or P126)
P112 Rotation = 1 (Allows the motor to run in both forward AND reverse)

These configure the terminals inputs as to what they do, they are by default all turned off
Assuming you are using straight 2 wire controls (i.e. NOT using 3 wire start-stop-reverse) then:
P121 TB-13A Digital Input = 11 would be START FORWARD

P122 TB-13B Digital Input = 12 would be START REVERSE

P123 TB-13C Digital Input = 15 would be JOG FORWARD

P124 TB-13D Digital Input = 16 would be JOG REVERSE

P160 Speed at Minimum Signal = 0 (Hz)
P161 Speed at Maximum Signal = 75 (Hz, should be the same as P103)
P162 Analogue Input Filter = 0.5 (seconds, this will decrease motor speed wandering because of electrical noise)
P166 Carrier Frequency = 2 (sets carrier frequency to 8 kHz, if the motor whine is loud set it to 3 which is 10kHz)

Vector Parameters, these MUST be set to your motor parameters
P300 Drive Mode = 5 (Vector Torque or constant torque)
P302 Motor Rated Voltage = usually either 220V or 230V (Set to motor nameplate voltage)
P303 Motor Rated Current = _ _ _ (Set to motor nameplate amperage)
P304 Motor Rated Frequency = 60 (Hz, this is the base frequency of the motor on the nameplate)
P305 Motor Speed = _ _ _ _ (RPM, set to motor nameplate RPM at 60Hz)

P399 Motor Auto calibration = When you machine is up and running and everything is working, you can run this to fine tune the motor parameters.

Last edited:
Back