Setting up a Jet 16 mill drill

highway101

Registered
Registered
I am setting up a Jet 16 mill drill and need some parts. I got a phase converter to run it but I need a switch, belts, feed handles and a draw bar. Hopefully this will work for the hot rod parts I want to manufacture. I just purchased a parts/operator manual for it. Here is a pic. Jim

IMG_0051.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
clean it up and use it. very similar to my rong fu. have you got collets for the column ? I see your new on the forum, how much experience do you have ? what are you going to make ?
can you turn the pix 1/4 turn, makes it much easier to view. I'd guess jet will have the parts you need, evil bay too. maybe some body on this forum will also.
check in at the yahoo site for "mill drills" also. lots of fine folks there too.
davidh

Sorry about the side ways pic. I am having wide five Ford adapter covers cast and I need to turn them in the lathe and then drill the 5 bolt holes on the mill drill. I am also designing a disc brake kit for Ford wide fives.

DSC_0316.JPG IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

ooooh, you have lots of stuff there and an interesting project. draw bars are available at most of the tooling suppliers like Enco. Belts are just industrial belts, how are the bearings at the idler pulley ? now is the time to change them if needed.
as far as your power switch, the vfd cannot be switched between the vfd and the motor. I low voltage power relay would be a good idea, or if your vfd has a connection for a remote switch for on / off and forward / reverse, that would be the way to fly.

what is the quill fit ? R-8 ? or what is the options on that machine.

I believe im a distributor for Jet Tools so if your trying to find a source maybe I can help. I'd need to call Jet to confirm im still listed.

the round column clamping system must be tightened and retightened to keep it from moving when your milling. just a thing to remember or you will get some odd results :)

Jet is not very friendly with their prices so I would advise trying aftermarket / Evilbay etc first. . .
good luck with your project,
davidh

I need to figure out the switch and relays and wiring, this is my main obstacle. the switch is missing and I have a Phasomatic static phase converter. It is set up with Morris taper and I have tons of taper drill bits and adapters, also adapters with the taper and a draw bar hole set up for standard mill bits. I figure that I could make a draw bar from some threaded stock and some coupling nuts. I will check out the bearings. Jim

Wired up phase converter and switch, installed new belts and bolted the motor on. Pushed the on button and we have a working mill drill. I will post some more pics soon. Jim

Back