Setting drill depth on a Vertical Drill/Mill with no knee

bahowe1

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, probably a pretty simple question for you, but I am curious, how do you set the depth when you are working on a mill/drill machine that has no knee? I need to make some counterbores only 1/16th deep, and I have access to a 'benchtop mill drill machine', sort of like the zx45 unit on Bolton Tools website (my unit is NOT this one, but it looks almost identical). If I have to make (example) 15 counterbores on top of 15 holes in a flat part of uniform thickness, how exactly do I set depth on a machine like this?
Thank you all!

That looks similar to the Grizzly G0755. The depth pointer is adjusted with the knob at the bottom to bottom out and limit quill travel.

I'm envisioning the tool touching the part with a .06 shim/feeler on top of a hard stop, if such the machine has. Remove the shim and you have your setting.

That looks similar to the Grizzly G0755. The depth pointer is adjusted with the knob at the bottom to bottom out and limit quill travel.
Yes! It is almost exactly like the Grizzly you mentioned, and I messed with that knob and it would raise and lower the indicator. What I noticed was, the scale on this one also went 0-5", but, the indicator would actually pass the 5" limit on the scale when lowering in the z direction. Should it have stopped? (It's an older unit, I don't know it's history, and I want to make sure it at once had the capability before I go through the hassle to get it here). I am fine messing with it to get it to work again, but if it never had the capability before, then I don't want to waste my time.
So let me try to ask if it is supposed to happen like this... (all of the following is a question)
I use the Z axis crank to lower cutter down near the part, with some room for part removal, and then lock off the crank. Then, I would use the downfeed to allow the tool to touch the top of the part. And this is where I end up confused. Because when I use the downfeed, the indicator moves down on the scale. If I use the depth stop adjustment knob, all it does it cause the indicator to move up or down on the scale as well.
What am I missing here?

Yes! It is almost exactly like the Grizzly you mentioned, and I messed with that knob and it would raise and lower the indicator. What I noticed was, the scale on this one also went 0-5", but, the indicator would actually pass the 5" limit on the scale when lowering in the z direction. Should it have stopped? (It's an older unit, I don't know it's history, and I want to make sure it at once had the capability before I go through the hassle to get it here). I am fine messing with it to get it to work again, but if it never had the capability before, then I don't want to waste my time.
So let me try to ask if it is supposed to happen like this... (all of the following is a question)
I use the Z axis crank to lower cutter down near the part, with some room for part removal, and then lock off the crank. Then, I would use the downfeed to allow the tool to touch the top of the part. And this is where I end up confused. Because when I use the downfeed, the indicator moves down on the scale. If I use the depth stop adjustment knob, all it does it cause the indicator to move up or down on the scale as well.
What am I missing here?
It's been over ten years since I last had my hands on the mill and to boot, I had modified the quill downfeed indicator to add a z axis dro so details are a bit fuzzy.

As I recollect, as you lower the quill it is stopped by the downfeed indicator bottoming out so by lowering the indicator with the adjustment knob, you limit the amount of downward travel. Lock the z axis and use the quill for feeding. Adjust the knob for the desired depth of cut and you are good to go.

Back