Set Screw For Tool Holder

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I am missing some set screws for some of my tool holders and some are most of them are just cheap screws.What can I get that won't crack or maybe not rust that is of good quality?I look over at McMaster-Carr and there is several to pick from,but what is a good material?Thanks---kroll

Black oxided alloy steel as supplied by tool manufacturers such a Aloris, Dorian, Sandvik, Kennemetal, Manchester and Kyocera.

Most of the Asian made tool holders for the Aloris style tool post are made with sloppy screw holes for the metric socket set screws supplied. And some of it is the set screws themselves. I have replaced most of mine with socket head cap screws that have been modified a little. You have to turn the head down a little so you get side clearance for the screws when installed and I've faced them off to get the ends flat. So far they are doing fine. So much easier to tighten down without having to worry about rounding the hex out on the screws, too.

I have split out a few sockets on the standard set screws they furnish, and decided that the length can be important. If they are long enough to stand up and allow the hex recess to be unsupported by the internal threads in the tool holder, they can be broken. The proper length should put the hex recess slightly below the top surface of the holder. I've never broken out one selected to suit that requirement. Once you break out the hex socket, it's time for vise-grips or a pipe wrench......both time consuming and aggravating. Naturally, you may need to keep a couple of different lengths on hand to cover all the different stackup heights of whatever tool you put in, but it's worth it. Now maybe I am being a gorilla when tightening my screws, but whatever. I put them in by hand, and remove them with a cheater, just to minimize that snap when they break loose.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and thoughts.What Tony discribe is what has happen to me,I never gave that any thought.Ordering my 3/4 length setscrews which is perfect for my tooling.I do also like those square head screws so going to order one box just to check it out and see if I can still adjust the height of the holder.

Back