Seneca Falls Star #20 Lathe

projectnut

Registered
Registered
Let me be the first to offer some pictures of a Seneca Falls Lathe. This one has been "in the family" for many years. It's a 1916 Star #20 model that was originally operated by my wife's grandfather. He worked in the R&D department at a local company that made vending machines.

Since the Star line was discontinued in the late 1920's or early 30's, and the parts support ended in the early 1940's, it was given to him as a retirement present by the company in the early 1950's. He continued to use it in his home shop until his passing in the late 1960's. It was then passed to my father in law who used it primarily as a wood turning machine until his passing in the late 1990's.

It's been in my shop going on 17 years and gets used on an almost daily basis. Over the years I've has to make a few parts for it, but essentially it runs as smooth and accurately as it did in 1916.

DSCF8080.JPG

DSCF8081.JPG

DSCF8082.JPG

Thanks for sharing. That was my first lathe about 50 years ago. I could never get it to stop chattering! If I tightened up the end shake adjustment to where I could hardly turn the spindle, the chatter would go away. But that’s not the proper adjustment. The motor was not happy either when I had it too tight. I sadly sold it. Even though it had quirks, it was my first lathe and was kinda sad to see it go. I still have the taper attachment from it, somewhere in the shop??? Have not seen it for decades…Dave.

hey there chips&more , did you ever find that taper attachment?
animal12

Back