semi-Diy lathe machine

Just short way from total ignorance.....How about ground 2.00 inch tube filled
with small shot & heavy gear oil. Has anybody done studies in this area ?
Principle is valid, but , perhaps not useful in this app. .........BLJHB.
To be honest there will be nothing " cheap " about this, you will spend more then a new lathe and will end up with with a less accurate machine. .. I don't mean to rain on ur perade, what do you call accurate?

You could end up with a fairly OK machine if you went for broke and brought best of the best parts

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Just short way from total ignorance.....How about ground 2.00 inch tube filled
with small shot & heavy gear oil. Has anybody done studies in this area ?
Principle is valid, but , perhaps not useful in this app. .........BLJHB.

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say here, can you clarify please?
Also idk what BLJHB means.

Basket case? I am not sure where the meaning comes from, but it brings to mind a whole bunch of milk boxes (baskets) full of parts and the Craigslist seller swearing that "everything's there". I saw a lathe with an absolutely wrecked carriage in someone's garage. I asked him what that piece of junk was doing there, and he said with a completely straight face, polishing, would you do that on a good lathe? He had several junk beds that he was selling for $50 or so. They would probably be a better starting point than casting that Gingery lathe bed. Each of them was a hefty lift, so it would be less than $1 per pound. Pouring a casting of that size is challenging, especially without help.

I see no reason at all why you can't get a very accurate machine, do you have any idea as to the size of the machine you are building?

Basket case? I am not sure where the meaning comes from, but it brings to mind a whole bunch of milk boxes (baskets) full of parts and the Craigslist seller swearing that "everything's there". I saw a lathe with an absolutely wrecked carriage in someone's garage. I asked him what that piece of junk was doing there, and he said with a completely straight face, polishing, would you do that on a good lathe? He had several junk beds that he was selling for $50 or so. They would probably be a better starting point than casting that Gingery lathe bed. Each of them was a hefty lift, so it would be less than $1 per pound. Pouring a casting of that size is challenging, especially without help.
Cast iron wood lathe beds might be a source as well.

Best Love/Luck/ Jonathan H. Bateman. Just another thought (Wndmill Charge?)about my
Belief that most of what is wrong with "Light" lathes is harmonic vibration. BLJHB.

Basket case?

I have always equated this to things like cars, machines, and other assemblies that are unassembled and are stored in various baskets or containers. The new owner then has to haul home his prize in numerous baskets and containers to get it there safely.
Example: "This car/machine was a basket case when I bought it."

That's interesting I thought it meant (originally) a person who weaves baskets all day- a hopeless case.
Mark

I for one have absolutely no gripe with someone building a home made machine tool, What did get up my nose some years ago on another forum, was a "Person" smashing up the most desirable and usable vintage machines to make castings to build a crap machine, Lovely old and good, machine tools that machine collectors would have loved and cherished, As a youngster in a foundry many years ago, when smashed up machines came in in the scrap iron consignments, it used to break all our hearts, as we were melting down some one elses nice workmanship to make new machines.

These old machines were machines being replaced due to modernisation , I well remember one large factory with an approx. one hundred year old faceplate lathe (the faceplate was about twenty feet in diameter, The headstock was a ships engine bedplate reconstituted to hold the huge bearings & mandrel which carried the big faceplate, at the front of the faceplate was a couple of old lathe beds & tool slides, The drive was a combination of gear wheels and flat leather belt cone pulleys, This home made machine tool built by this old firm, no doubt on a shoe-string budget could really coil the cuttings of large castings , A super example of "A home made machine" in industry, Getting back to home shop craftsmen, I saw a brilliant idea some years back of a lathe headstock made from a used motor car cylinder block, Whatever some one can cobble together , And they are happy and it works , That is a good outcome!

Back