Semi Auto Lathe

Dibbley

Registered
Registered
Hi

I use a Clarke CL500M lathe to remove the flanges off studs as per the pics below. I do this about a thousand studs at a time. The process of opening the chuck, placing a stud, tightening the chuck, shaving the flange off, opening the chuck again and removing the stud takes me about a minute. Up until now I've been paying for someone else to do it ($2000 this year), but I'd rather do it myself more efficiently.

Is there some kind of semi auto lathe on the market, with some kind of quick load chuck, where the cutter automatically goes back and forth to some presets I can set up beforehand, but at a speed where I can just swap the stud over between strokes without having to tighten and untighten the chuck. If I can get the speed up from one a minute, to say 10 a minute, then it becomes worthwhile for me to invest in something new.

If yes, what would such a device be called? I'm looking for something that can handle up to M10/M12 studs, and maybe with a way to shave the pip off the top of the stud too via a second batch run, once the flange is shaved down.

Thanks in advance!

Dibbs

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

A second operation lathe would be my choice for this. Or really any lathe with a collet closer chuck.

Your Clarke could be fitted with a collet closer chuck. Then just set up stops on your carriage and cross slide. The same tool bit could be used to turn the flange and remove the pip.

Collet closer:

1340a1__29969.1267069765.1280.1280.jpg
Installed on a Feeler second operation lathe
Headstock3017.jpg

Thanks, I didn't know that existed, I had to google a couple of youtube videos to see how it worked :p

I'm going to get one of those anyway if I can, even if it doesn't solve the job I'm working on now. That will save me so much time on other things I use the lathe for.

I think you could run that part on an old Logan production lathe. Using a collet with a spring loaded collet stop that ejects the part when you open collet. Also using a production cross slide set up with a hard stop where you use a handle to feed tool to size. Once you start running parts you never turn off spindle. Also most home shop guys don't want this type of lathe so if you find one they are not too pricey. I also see production cross slides for Logan Lathes for sale often.
Jimsehr
Or if you could find a Traub automatic lathe (see running on YouTube) .I saw one for sale a few months ago on eBay for about $1000. I used to run A Traub where we would turn and chamfer OD , face and drill ID . You would need someone to set it up first time as it runs off cams. But once set up you could run it for years.

Maybe just get an old B&S screw machine and roll them from scratch. Probably 5 operations total. It'l cost more to make the cams and buy the thread roller head than the machine, but once set up you can run any quantity at any time and be unattended.

I assume you've explored having them produced right from the start? You're into solid production numbers (not quite true mass production). I know there are many firms that do custom fasteners.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Back