Self teaching scraping

Could someone please post a list of some of the basic tools to get started scraping.Thank you very much.

what is your budget?

I started with:
Conellys book
Reading every thread on the subject I could find
Sandvik scraper
medium stone
files
600x400mm granite slab
hispot blue, stuarts micrometer red
surface gauge
0.01mm DTI
camelback Straight edge
precision spirit level
precision parallels
1 2 3 blocks
Diamond hand laps and sharpeners
Brake cleaning fluid
acetone
loads of rags

Then I got:
Biax
Diamond grinding wheel
smaller granite slab
Cast iron bar to make a dovetail straight edge
0.002mm dti
Still want:
Granite square or triangle

Just to echo the opinion of some others, I learnt to scrape entirely from reading and viewing material online. I watched loads of videos on YouTube, sometimes over and over (Nick Mueller has some good ones), and read lots of posts from Richard and Forrest.

As other people have said, at first I didn't know whether I was doing it right or wrong, but after 5-10 hours of practice over a few months I was able to consistently make a part flat and spotting evenly, and I now feel very confident.

Personally, I find the measuring/analysing/strategising side very easy, but the hand coordination and feel the hard bit. I also have the type of temperament to not mind scraping, I quite enjoy it.

I would buy a Sandvik carbide tipped scraper to start with as I learnt quickly you don't want to be messing around with blunt or inadequate scraper blades when your skill is low, as you won't know whether it's you that's doing something wrong, or that your equipment is blunt/wrong. I wasted about 3 hours using an HSS scraper that was just polishing the surface and I didn't realise.

Other than that you can get started with just a surface plate, but within a few hours your blade will need resharpened so then you need a diamond wheel for your bench grinder, then in due time you'll probably want to buy or make various types of straight edges etc (good practice to scrape these in anyway).

Cheers
Rich

I started with

* Artists oil paint (prussian blue)
* an old file

What can I say, it was a rough start. Don't bother with oil paint, I repeat, don't bother.

I later upgraded to

* Dikem HiSpot blue
* Brayer (rubber roller) for spreading above
* small granite plate (it's only small grade B, 12x18" IIRC)
* Carbide scraper ( I purchased an Anderson scraper, the Sandvic ones do not seem to be available in the us)
* Green wheel for shaping carbide blades
* Diamond hand laps for sharpening carbide blades
* Dial test indicator for testing alignment.

I also found that those head mounted LED lights are nice for letting you see things.

Back