[How do I?] Select QCTP Carbide Holders?

I received the Aloris AXA last night and did a quick fit-up this morning. Will need to make a new T-nut, as the one that came with is it sloppy in the Logan. Popped a 3/8" HSS tool into one of the holders and eyeballed center to the chuck and looks darned close. Looks like I'll need to make a holder for the 1/2" carbide tool I ordered, or possibly machine down the one non-Aloris holder that came with the QCTP.

Or you could cut down the thickness of the 1/2" tool so you can get it on center with an un-modified tool holder.

Nice setup Bruce!
Hi Will,

Thanks! Nice to have more than enough tools right at hand. Gotta love tool changes with a QCTP, one throw of the lever and pop a new whatever on. Who ever invented the system should be knighted! I'm probably one of CDCO's best customers.

Bruce

Hi Will,

Thanks! Nice to have more than enough tools right at hand. Gotta love tool changes with a QCTP, one throw of the lever and pop a new whatever on. Who ever invented the system should be knighted! I'm probably one of CDCO's best customers.

Bruce

I agree! I have a Dorian SQCTP but I use import holders. I could not afford to have all Dorian or Aloris tool holders for the amount I have. That way no fiddling around with height adjustments, a tool holder for each tool as it was intended.

I'm not sure who actually invented the quick change tool post idea but as far as the style we're all familiar with & use, that would be of course Frank Sirola.....and that's where the name Aloris came from (for those who did not know, last name in reverse).

Another bit of info for those who did not know. It was the piston style that was first released by Aloris. We're all familar with the size designations as AXA, BXA, CXA, etc. The Aloris piston style QCTPs were AX, BX, CX, etc. When the wedge type was released they added the "A" to the end. But everyone these days just calls them piston type AXA, BXA, etc.

+1 for the recommendation of latheinserts.com above. Their SCLC holders and inserts are great stuff.

When I got the ERL-1340, I also bought some Iscar WNMG inserts & toolholders. They're superb for steel. One thing to note them then is that the holder has negative rake to produce clearance, and you need to use inserts with lots of top rake to compensate for that.

Back