Seig Sx2.7 Milling Machine

I'm lusting after this mill! Had long been wishing for the X3, but this appears to be a good compromise.

Scott - what is the depth (to the wall) of that bench you have the mill on?

30" deep

This mill is the perfect size for my needs and available space. It's adequately accurate (within 0.001" when squaring a block) and consistent.

I'm not so sure that the X2.7 is in the same class as the classic X2 series. It looks to me more like a lighter version of the X3 - and I fairly certain it will be a def step UP from the LSM 3960. I was lusting after the X3, but when I saw the details of the X2.7 I think it will be a better match (for me) than the X3. Not to mention the version from LMS has no plastic gears, and the BLDC motor is a HUGE improvement over the classic X2's geared, standard DC motor. Study the specs of the X2.7 carefully - I think you WILL be impressed!

Just wish I could find a copy of the X2.7 users manual so I can get some good external sizes - it may be a squeeze on my current mill table.

=Alan R.

If you have the money go for X3 mill. I have an X2 and its only suitable for really light work and I have just broken my first plastic gear in the motor drive. If you go with your original choice then decide on what work you will be doing, cutter sizes and how long it will take with an x2

There even seems to be an x2.3 now, although I have no idea where you would get one in the US.

I was set on an X3 until I realized it would not fit on my bench with the ceiling in my garage shop. The X2.7 is perfect. It's heavy enough for my needs and more accurate than a X2. Or rather, I can achieve accuracy within my tolerances more easily on this machine than I could with the X2, which required a lot more fuss. The digital readout on the Z-axis has been a big help, too.

Scott - could I ask a favor of a couple measurements of the base? As the manual for this seems to be unavailable thru web searches, in sure other prospective X2.7 owners could use them too.

My LMS 3960 sits nicely on a 24" X 43" table I made. If you could give the basic "rectangle" dimensions of the base as well as how far the Y axis handle sticks out past the base - this would give the min front-to-back space needed to bench the mill.

Thanks!

Alan R.

Scott - could I ask a favor of a couple measurements of the base? As the manual for this seems to be unavailable thru web searches, in sure other prospective X2.7 owners could use them too.

My LMS 3960 sits nicely on a 24" X 43" table I made. If you could give the basic "rectangle" dimensions of the base as well as how far the Y axis handle sticks out past the base - this would give the min front-to-back space needed to bench the mill.

Thanks!

Alan R.

Here you go:

The cast iron "blue rectangle" base is 16.125" deep and 9" wide.
The column extends beyond the back of the cast iron base by 3.5". The column does not rest on the "ground" and does not need to be supported.
The y-axis handle extends 4.5" from the front of the base.

The attached sketch is embarrassingly rough. And I forgot to include the 9" width measurement. :-/

Sounds like your table should work!

Scott

IMG_3192.JPG

Wow! Thanks a ton for the info AND the good news for my table.

By the way, I show the progress of the building of these tables on my website http://www.avrdev.net.

Here you go:

The cast iron "blue rectangle" base is 16.125" deep and 9" wide.
The column extends beyond the back of the cast iron base by 3.5". The column does not rest on the "ground" and does not need to be supported.
The y-axis handle extends 4.5" from the front of the base.

The attached sketch is embarrassingly rough. And I forgot to include the 9" width measurement. :-/

Sounds like your table should work!

Scott

IMG_0433.PNG

Here is a version I hacked together on the iPad

Last edited:
Back