Seig Sx2.7 Milling Machine

Scott,

Yes, I do like the 2.7, but it’s my first mill of any kind so I can’t compare it to anything else. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Something to think about if you are considering an engine hoist…. even if you lower the mill head near the table and use a short sling around the head to gain ceiling clearance, the hoist will still be limited as to how far it can reach over the bench top. I have a 1 ton Harbor Fright engine hoist. With the arm fully extended at a high enough angle to raise the mill to bench height, when I push the hoist legs under the bench and against the wall behind it, it is still over 2 feet from the wall to the lifting hook. Point being, it might not have enough reach for a shallow bench that backs up to a wall. My 2.7 sits on a 34" deep bench and I still had to push on it as I lowered it to get it all the way onto the bench. I was glad I had a helper. Just some food for thought.

Tom

Scott,

Yes, I do like the 2.7, but it’s my first mill of any kind so I can’t compare it to anything else. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Something to think about if you are considering an engine hoist…. even if you lower the mill head near the table and use a short sling around the head to gain ceiling clearance, the hoist will still be limited as to how far it can reach over the bench top. I have a 1 ton Harbor Fright engine hoist. With the arm fully extended at a high enough angle to raise the mill to bench height, when I push the hoist legs under the bench and against the wall behind it, it is still over 2 feet from the wall to the lifting hook. Point being, it might not have enough reach for a shallow bench that backs up to a wall. My 2.7 sits on a 34" deep bench and I still had to push on it as I lowered it to get it all the way onto the bench. I was glad I had a helper. Just some food for thought.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I'm pretty sure the engine hoist would not work for the reasons you stated. I've thought of buying/building a small workbench on casters, rolling it out to the driveway (lots of headroom there...), hoisting the mill in place, and rolling it back into the garage. That would be the safest way to move either the SX2.7 or SX3. In the end, the SX2.7 is a better fit for my bench.

I installed my two lathes and a drill press using a chain hoist. First I moved them into position on a movers dolly. I screwed large eye bolts into the joists above where they were going. The lathes weighed between 300 - 350 pounds, but I think you could do the same with a machine that was a bit heavier. Then I leaned a board with the top against the bench. I hoisted the machines up against the board.

I just kept the bolts where I installed them in case I need to move them in the future.

Scott,

Another thought... the SX2.7, or at least LMS' version of it, weighs just a hair over 200 lbs. I took the table off of mine to get it through the door on a hand cart and, out of curiosity, weighed the table while I had it off. As I recall, it weighed about 35 pounds. That would leave 170 lbs to lift if you can get it next to your bench on a dolly or something similar. Lifting it by hand would be pretty cumbersome, but a couple of strong backs might be able to do it by leaning it back and have one guy on the base and the other on the head. More food for thought. Of course, more bench top work space is always a plus, too, if you do decide to go with a separate bench.

Tom

You guys need some young Samoans! I had ONE guy move my RF-31 on its stand using a hand truck. He got behind it, leaned it back onto his chest and then rolled it down my neighbor's driveway, 30 feet of sidewalk to my driveway, then up my driveway and into my shop - by himself. This is a 770# load! The guy was only about 5'5" tall and weighed maybe 175# but he was just seriously strong. I don't think he would breathe hard deadlifting 170#.

Mike,

Was he 71 years old and sadly out of shape? ;) (Speaking for myself, not Scott)

Tom

(Actually, I'm not out of shape. "Pear" is a shape.)

Impressive. But like Tom I knew more guys like that when I was 28 than now at 58. BTW a professional rigger quoted $1200 to do the job for me. It was too small a project to make it worth their while unless I agreed to let them rob me.

Scott

What if you used one of those lift tables to raise it to bench height then rolled it onto the bench on tubing. You could put the mill on the table in a convenient location roll it to the bench and raise it to the bench height. The table surly would be cheaper then the rigger and if purchased would be handy for many things.

What if you used one of those lift tables to raise it to bench height then rolled it onto the bench on tubing. You could put the mill on the table in a convenient location roll it to the bench and raise it to the bench height. The table surly would be cheaper then the rigger and if purchased would be handy for many things.

Yes, I think this is the way to go. Thanks.

Scott

Darn it now I'm thinking I need one now after looking at the grizzly catalog!

Back