Seig Sx2.7 Milling Machine

Stephen krupa

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge to provide a review of a Seig SX2.7 Bench Mill Drill. I was at the Cabin Fever Expo in PA and saw first hand Little Machine Shop's 5500 mill, which to my knowledge, is a clone of the Seig SX2.7. LMS is presently out of stock of this machine.

There are several videos on YouTube featuring Frank Hoose's review of the Sieg SX2.7 model; very impressive to this beginner. It has DRO for both speed and spindle depth and the quill moves itself as opposed to the whole head. I find those desirable features. But again, I just wanted to inquire if anyone has firsthand experience with this machine.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Krupa

I'm interested in this machine too, so figured I'd bump. Looks like there is almost no first person info available on this machine.

Is the 5500 really an sx2.7 or is it a g0704/pm25mv variant, which I think Aimee call the BF20?

Matthew,

I not that sure regarding comparisons of each of these machines. I believe LMS said that their 5500 was a twin of the SX2.7. The 5500 just came on market. Maybe the SX2.7 is arriving at this time also? I have inquired on this Forum regarding the SX2.7 to no avail. I can't believe that there is no one who has one that won't chime in with their review of it. Unless, with the LMS 5500 and the SX2.7 being in fact, twins, they both arrive on our shores at the same time and no one has received theirs yet.

Steve

Yes. Well I eventually saw on the LMS site that it is a 2.7. I'm embarrassed that I missed it in the post subject. I agree the Hoose video makes it look great. I am a rank beginner. Based on my interests (model steam, MAYBE a loco up to 3/4" scale) the SX2 class machine may be plenty. I'm not sure yet.

If you have the money go for X3 mill. I have an X2 and its only suitable for really light work and I have just broken my first plastic gear in the motor drive. If you go with your original choice then decide on what work you will be doing, cutter sizes and how long it will take with an x2

I'm also thinking about upgrading my mini-mill to the SX2.7 (LMS) or SX3 (Grizzly). Moving the SX3 worries me -- lifting it up to the workbench will not be easy (ceiling's too low for a shop crane). Maybe this is a good excuse to get a new workbench with heavy casters...

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge to provide a review of a Seig SX2.7 Bench Mill Drill. I was at the Cabin Fever Expo in PA and saw first hand Little Machine Shop's 5500 mill, which to my knowledge, is a clone of the Seig SX2.7. LMS is presently out of stock of this machine.

There are several videos on YouTube featuring Frank Hoose's review of the Sieg SX2.7 model; very impressive to this beginner. It has DRO for both speed and spindle depth and the quill moves itself as opposed to the whole head. I find those desirable features. But again, I just wanted to inquire if anyone has firsthand experience with this machine.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Krupa
Use an engine mobile crane and a short rope...cheers

The SX3 column would come close to the sloping ceiling above the bench. Not sure the mobile shop crane boom would fit. Maybe if the mill head is down by the table.

IMG_2888 2.JPG

The SX3 column would come close to the sloping ceiling above the bench. Not sure the mobile shop crane boom would fit. Maybe if the mill head is down by the table.

I have an LMS 5500 (SX2.7) that I lifted onto my bench with an engine hoist, but my shop has an 8’ ceiling that yours doesn’t. Although I had a little room to spare, yours still looks too low in the photo for that to work. Would something like a table lift possibly work for you? I’m thinking of something similar to what Hoose’s machine is sitting on in his video.

Tom

I think you are right. With the sx2.7 I could use a "material lift," which I rented to put the the mini mill and lathe into place. The SX3 would be too heavy/large for that.

Do you like the SX2.7? I'm wondering if the capacity is enough of an increase from the mini mill to justify the upgrade. I invested in the mini mill by swapping in a brushless motor and replacing the gear drive with a home-made belt drive, so in some ways it's a better machine now than when it was new.

Scott

Back