Seeking PA, OH, WV or??? modelers for the 2013 Portersville show

Allen

Active User
Registered
Just before this summer's show I was informed that display in the grandstand building were now my "problem" Once again, mostly due to benign neglect, we had empty display cases and tables in the grandstand building.

So we're/I'm looking for some new folks with models, old toys/trains, farm toys, or even collections of interesting old shtuff. We most certainly don't judge, so your fit and finish doesn't have to be "exhibition quality"... you just have to be brave enough to bring it.

We will have an air table that can be expanded if needed, a couple largish glass front display cases, several heavy tables, a couple open front shelving units, and floor space for larger items. The building is generally available to move stuff into by the Tuesday before the show, will be open all 4 days, and is usually secured in the late evening (after dark Thursday and the tractor pulls Friday and Saturday). The glass display cases can easily be secured, either with screws or locks, and help with loading and unloading can be arranged as well.

There is bench seating along the wall or you can bring your own chairs. The building is centrally located so it's just a short walk to the steam building, craft building, flea market, parade track, first-aid center, food and porta-potties.

If there is enough interest, we can probably also get a steam table set up again in the steam building. That's something I really miss.

The showgrounds is right off US 19 just North of the village of Portersville, Pa. and minutes from I 79. Next year's dates (2013) will be August 1-4. Anybody willing to come 1 day, 2, 3 or all 4 is welcome, and gladly so. Exhibitor + 1 helper will be admitted free, but we can also make arrangements for a group as well, if you let us know in advance.

If you're interested or just have questions, please feel free to contact me at: steamnut1917@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!

This would be a great opportunity for the meet and greet event that the others were discussing earlier. Far enough in the future and pretty central on the east coast to make plans for getting a group together. If I can travel then I will definately have my nam de plume on the list!!!! I yhink it is a great idea to potentially expose a lot of new comers to machining, get faces on freinds, meet new freinds and swap stories. Nelson is up in that area much closer, but may be busy with clocks or working in his shop. I put my +1 in for a meet and greet at the Aug 2013 Portersville sjow!!!! Any takers????
Bob

It's only about an hour from my home. I would make it a priority to be there.

Roy

.... I yhink it is a great idea to potentially expose a lot of new comers to machining, get faces on freinds, meet new freinds and swap stories. ...
Bob

Great to me! Just as long as I have some idea in advance how much space you'll need and for which days.

The Portersville show also boasts their 1880s lineshaft driven Hoffman machine shop. I can't recall any other clubs that have one that's open for public viewing...

For those who don't know where the village of Portersville is. It's located on US19 about 38 miles north of Pittsburgh, or 23 miles south of I-80. The showgrounds are off the Southbound side of 19 next to Gellner's Arctic Cat.
http://www.portersvillesteamshow.org/Directions.php

bump! Starting to look into planning the building layout. Need 2 know if any of you guys have special space requirements.

This is a model engine show??? Hmmm..... Do you have any more info for it? I would love to build model engines, but havent started anything yet.

Thanks,
Chris

I did not even know about this, its only about 45 minutes away from me, I will have to check that out, for sure.

i'll try and be there for a meet and greet.

Going over tomorrow to finish rebuilding two display cases, move a tool board or two, and see about adding a second section to the air table.

For those willing to display multiple days, please backchannel me and I'll send you a gate pass. For those needing help setting up, I'll probably be down on the track with the big 20th Century engine

We extended the table to 16 feet with 14 1/8"npt connections. If that isn't enough We can see about adding 5 more.
Do you guys have a preference for the distance between the table and the bench seat?

Back