[Newbie] Seeking Lathe Recommendations

auto.pilot

Active User
Registered
I have a Unimat SL1000 and am considering something a bit larger. Primarily, my work will be replicating parts for vintage drums using brass or steel. I'd also like to try stainless steel. I need a bench top unit & ball turning is a must, (which is sort of a chore on the Unimat). Maybe it's just me, but I find that the multi-purpose Unimat is somewhat time consuming and difficult to get everything aligned. New/used- don't really care. Budget is in the 500 range. Would appreciate any thoughts. The links below give an idea of the work I'd like to try.

http://www.sfdrumco.com/sfdrumco_wmp_closeup_03_sml.jpg
http://www.sfdrumco.com/sfdrumco_lug_options.jpg
http://rickardbanjo.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/ballsoenarrowfootbrass3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
recommend lathe

Hi fellow michigander, The small ATlas or Craftsman are good. I had a 6" x 48" that served me very well for 15 years. Sold it for twice what I paid for it.REMEMBER if you maintain your machine properly, you are only USING it. About the going rate both times. It was a 1942 with change gears for threading. I built a milling attachment for it shortly after purchase. Machine was primarily used for gunsmithing. The biggest shortcoming was the flat bedways, but with with proper care, not a hinderance. LOTS of new and used parts available. I was, am a machine tool builder and rebuilder. Advise to stay away from the old sleeve type spindle bearing lathes. Ask 10 other guys you will probably get 10 recommendations for 10 different brands. I would pay particular attention to the bed on a used machine. On a flat bed you can check for wear easily by micing along bed. If owner has misused the bed , you can bet he didn't maintain the lathe very well either. If you can borrow or rent a precision ( .0005 div. ) level.; You can also check the bed for twist and or bow. If it has set like this for a long time you may not be able to get it to cut a long part straight. Don:))

Wow, thee place is suddenly crawling with Michiganders!

Jim: Parts like the ones you are making lend themselves well to a form tool. You grind the tool to the shape of the part and then plunge it straight into the part. It's a lot quicker than generating all of those curves individually, especially if you are making more than one part, which I suspect you are.

Watch Craig's List for used lathes. There are plenty available in the Detroit area and they will be a lot cheaper and better quality than a new import. I would recommend something with V ways (sorry Don, but that eliminates Atlas and Craftsman) with names like South Bend, Logan, Sheldon and Clausing. You can't be too picky with a budget of $500, but there are plenty of deals are out there. Whatever you buy, the amount of tooling that comes with it is key. If you have to buy chucks, faceplates, collets, tool holders, centers, etc. it will quickly get very expensive.

Check CL in nearby cities as well. There is a web site called Search Tempest where you can set of personal Craigs List searches for specific items and areas.

Tom

I just took a peek at CL and there is a Hendy and a Hamiliton lathe available in your price range. The Hamilton is a bit large, but looks to be loaded with tooling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back