Seeking Guidance on Bending Project

This small steel part is from a 1930's snare drum. There are 16 of them on each drum. I'd like to replicate them as near as possible. Ultimately, I'd like to make many more than 16, perhaps several hundred. 1/8 by 5/8 bar stock is available, and cutting/drilling to size is simple enough. However, I could use some guidance on the bending process. I have a 20 ton H frame shop press (hydraulic bottle jack), but don't have a brake. I also have a 3 ton arbor press. Some questions: 1) Is this a job for the arbor press? 2) will I need goose neck dies for the sharp bends? 3) what method should be used for the curved bend? 4) given that I am new to this... what else do I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 226784 View attachment 226785
View attachment 226786
View attachment 226787
My thought is those parts was most likely bent
Red hot

Nice job on the prototypes so far. Just my .02 on material choice - drilling and deburring the holes in ss wont be fun. Talk about smoking drill bits. Polishing the ss is possible but labor intensive. I would rather fabricate from crs then send a whole batch to the platers and be done.
For bending clips like that in relatively small volume you might consider picking up a used 1a DiAcro
I would use HRS not CRS
CRS tends to crack in a sharp bend unless you get it red hot first .
HRS bends easier and is less appt to crack

Last edited:
Back