Second project completed - Handwheel for the spindle on my lathe for turning taps/dies.

Lone Watie

Active User
Registered
I just completed my hand wheel for my mini-lathe using John's plans from www.gadgetbuilder.com

Instead of using steel, I used aluminum all the way around, except for the bolt and washer. My tap guide I made a few days ago came in real handy for this. Now, no more turning the chuck by hand - I'll just stick this in the outside of the spindle and turn away. I still need to make a decent die holder. I'm thinking of using a 1" socket (my craftsman tap & die set dies are hex shaped). Boring out the suitable diameter on a piece of aluminum and sticking a set screw in there to hold the socket. I'll have to have the die backed up by something so it doesn't go too deep in the socket (I could cut off the unnecessary length). Thread the end of the socket holder to accept a 2MT arbor, and thread the side for a tommy bar. I'll need a spring mechanism for that as well, though, in order to apply sufficient pressure against the work piece. Here's a couple pics of my hand wheel:

th_ba5b3909.jpgth_fc8ce378.jpgth_b582df48.jpgth_d3b40b2c.jpg

th_ba5b3909.jpg

th_ba5b3909.jpg

th_fc8ce378.jpg

th_fc8ce378.jpg

th_b582df48.jpg

th_b582df48.jpg

th_d3b40b2c.jpg

th_d3b40b2c.jpg

This one took me awhile. I got the nordictrac wheel several weeks ago, but been working on a number of other things in the interim. This will be good to have once I complete the die holder for when I do my final motorcycle shift rod for threading it. I just hope I can get enough of the shift rod into the spindle to minimize the runout. The only drawback, as gadget builder mentions, is that it blocks the part of the spindle closest to the gears, not allowing a work piece to go all the way through. Oh well, it's nice having the big iron wheel for turning. I'll just have to exercise caution not to turn it too aggressively.

Back