"Season The Threads"

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So guys I'm getting into my first AR15, which is also my first rifle build. Discussing handguards and barrel nuts I see recommendations and references to "season the threads." This entails torquing a barrel nut to the mfg suggested amount, loosen the nut, then repeat this procedure for 2-3 times. What, if anything, does this seasoning of the threads accomplish? Thanks.

What kind of lube do you use on the threads? Just curious.
'Seasoning' the threads probably just flattens any burrs or high spots and improves the amount of surface contact in the threads. The better the finish on the threads at the start the less 'seasoning' it should require.
A seasoned barrel nut would likely hold its torque better in service.
I believe we could call it burnishing in machinist terms.

Last edited:
^^^^ basically this...
It's not really about nicks or burrs as much as stress-relieving in a sort of field-expedient method. But it all works.

One little note about AR building:
All the torques and procedures are cut-and-paste carryover from the M-16. Okay, that's not a bad thing, but the M-16 must be capable of sustained automatic fire and conditions your AR will never-ever see - and only a very few M-16s ever see.
So if the various build-directions sometimes seem a little bit of overkill, there very likely are.
I'm not saying to deviate from them - though that's totally your call - just saying that your instincts are probably right.

Back