Searching for a small quiet metal saw

I don't know the manufacture but where I work in a corner is a horizontal-vertical band saw about half the size of the 4x6

I thought these were REAL LOUD.
Yes they are loud, much louder than the band saw. But they do cut faster so if you have a run of pieces to cut, it will get through it quicker.

Last edited:
Well I decided to pull the trigger on the saw purchase today after using elbow grease and hacksaw method as I waited for the move to our new house. Still limited on space due to the wife now liking to keep her car snow free in the winter. 21 x 18, so I will have to maximise the use of space still. I decided to go with the Milwaukee deep cut saw. Pick it up on Friday, but now I'm looking at a PM1228VF due to length of the lathe(also variable speed right out of the crate and still a newbie to the hobby and this being a big jump up from my Sherline) and also because I want to purchase a mill the PM727V(being 120V, I can move it to the sons bedroom, if he ever moves out and make it part of my shop empire) or a PM30MV. (Still only at this time considering making larger steam engines and internal combustion engines, but who knows what other projects are on the horizon. Also weight is a factor due to a gravel driveway, I hope that the lift gate on the truck will touch the lip of my cement floor, so that a pallet jack can move it into garage. Life's decision are so rough, I will have to be sure I can fit it all in by make up some cardboard mock ups of equipment.

1519257867981.png

I decided to go with the Milwaukee deep cut saw.

Thats a great saw, I've had my Milwaukee deep cut for over 20 years, I recently replaced the brushes, tires and blade guides, the only maintenance I've ever had to do on it. The base is a great addition to consider if you haven't already.

I've got a harborfreight 4x6 bandsaw and a Milwaukee deep cut Porta band the 4x6 saw is much quieter than the portaband

I decided to go with the Milwaukee deep cut saw. Pick it up on Friday

Please let us know what you think of the noise level.

I have one too, sure it does have some high-frequency to it, but I think that doesn't carry far thru walls/structure.
However, my power hack-saw low-frequency "grunt" from the attached garage can be heard in my basement.

-brino

Please let us know what you think of the noise level.

I have one too, sure it does have some high-frequency to it, but I think that doesn't carry far thru walls/structure.
However, my power hack-saw low-frequency "grunt" from the attached garage can be heard in my basement.

-brino
I will noise will not be a factor now, as I also have a place in the country to do all my cutting and bring the pieces to be used on my Sherline in city during the work week grind to machine. Ha just finished negotiating with the wife on purchasing a new lathe for our retirement home. She was tough had to give her half of the garage for lathe and to have it insulated. The nerve of her was that she asked me for a budget their goes the 12"x 36" lathe option.

The portaband is an awesome saw just make sure you have the right blade for what your cutting really like the lil chopsaw style stands but 300 bucks is to rich for my blood for that saw I'm eventually just gonna build a chopsaw style stand

Back