1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Searching for a small quiet metal saw

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by CarlosA, Sep 7, 2017.

1. CarlosA

CarlosA United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Anyone have any experiences or suggestions? I currently have a 4x6 bandsaw inside my (apartment) spare room machine shop - i`m looking to reclaim the floor space and get something that would be better suited to the top of a bench for making cuts. I primarily use it for cut off purposes - like a 2" round aluminum rod for turning, etc. Whatever I find needs to be bench size and as quiet as the 4x6 - preferably even quieter with less vibration to please the neighbors. Otherwise maybe I can kick this thing out on the porch and make that work somehow, I just don`t really want it to rust away.

I also have a hand-i-hack saw in storage that didn`t really solve the problem.

I almost think a small vertical metal cutting bandsaw might do the job, but not sure about cutting off larger diameters?

Please tell me what has worked for you, or of anything you might have seen that was impressive. I don`t have much of a budget for this - sky is the limit to solve this annoying problem.

2. darkzero

darkzero Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

There's really not very many choices for smaller than a 4x6 unless you go vertical. Well a chop saw is smaller but that won't work in your case, way too loud & they're messy.

There are benchtop horizontal bandsaws but they're not that much smaller than a 4x6, maybe a bit shorter in length. Example below. An old power hacksaw can be found with a small footprint also. But there not easy to find depending on where you live and are even slower than bandsaws.

If it were me, I'd stick with a horizontal bandsaw for cutting. The advantage is you can leave it to make a big cut where as a vertical bandsaw you will have to sit there & continue feeding the stock yourself.

You can unbolt the stand on a 4x6 & put the saw on top of a bench. My suggestion is if that would work for you I would do that. Will save you money & the stands on most 4x6 saws are what vibrates & makes noise.

2LKT8_AS01.jpg

Ken from ontario and mikey like this.
  3. Dave Paine

Dave Paine United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Eastern PA
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

4. Dave Paine

Dave Paine United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Eastern PA
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

5. CarlosA

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I considered this - if I relocate the motor to be above the gear box, and use a DC motor with variable speed, it would really work well in this configuration - the back side of the motor hanging off prevents it from working in my space as is.

6. Ken from ontario

Ken from ontario Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

All the smaller saws that run on universal motors are going to be noisy, universal motors are notorious for their excessive noise, a quiet saw would most likely have an induction motor.

darkzero likes this.
  7. darkzero

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

True that, I forgot about that. I had a 4x6 too, then again my 7x12 is the same way. Maybe another option is to build a stand with wheels? That way to can roll it out when you need to use it. If you have the flimsy sheet metal stand, putting castors on that is not a very good idea. I have limited space in my garage, that's what I do with my 7x12.

Otherwise one of those benchtop models sounds good, no motor hanging off the back.

8. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

9. darkzero

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Another option is to go with a Portaband & the Swag Offroad vertical table mount (or make your own). My lil brother just got one of these setups. Footprint is very small. You can use the Milwaukee, Dewalt, or HF saws. You'll loose the ability to auto feed like with a horizontal saw but at least you can unbolt it & go handheld.

Trick Tools makes a horizontal stand for the portable bandsaws but they're not cheap!

I believe most if not all of those small table top vertical bandsaws are meant for wood, they spin too fast for metal. Not sure if you can mod them to go slower. The portable bandsaws have variable speed & good thing is you can buy replacement blades at most any hardware store.

40.jpg

milwaukee_cordless_bandsaw_99_milwaukee_cordless_bandsaw__ez_cut_jig_for.jpg

EDIT: brino beat me to it. :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    brino and brav65 like this.
  10. CarlosA

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

How noisy are these? The older ones I've used have been screaming noisy like a circular saw.

11. darkzero

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I'm not sure, I've never used a newer one before. Only time I ever used one was a old one too, like when they came in metal cases. But on that one I remember it rattling more than anything else.

Probably not a good representation but there are lots of videos of them on YT. I'll ask my lil brother how loud his Dewalt is.

12. Ken from ontario

Ken from ontario Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Peterborough
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

I have a newer model Portaband, bought it a year ago, it's a joy to use. Portaband bandsaws are great bandsaws,powerful & versatile but they are noisy, I would describe the noise as 2 to 3 times noisier than a sewing machine.

13. uncle harry

uncle harry United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Big Bend
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I've seen a couple of you tube videos of adapting a portable band saw (Milwaukee or equivalent) to hold vertical on a bench. Check out OUTSIDE SCREWBALL for his example. As stated above, others have adapted the movable section of a 4 X 6 unit like yours to a vertical configuration.

Edit: Being curious I searched Outside Screwball's videos & came up with QUICKIE 3 Milwaukee Portable Bandsaw Stand posted 3 years ago. His holding fixture lets him set up the portable bandsaw in a vertical orientation very quickly and is quite simple.

Several other similar videos also surfaced which might be worth viewing consideration.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  14. ELHEAD

ELHEAD United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Florence
    State:
    Alabama

-Return to Top-

Handi-hack-saw? Never heard of that one. Not to seem foolish but is a hand powered hacksaw out of the question?
    Dave

itsme_Bernie likes this.
  15. owl

owl United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Missoula
    State:
    Montana

-Return to Top-

If you don't mind working off the floor, I took my 4x6 and threw away the stand. Mounted it on a couple of pieces of 4x4 wood, and slide it under the bench when not working with it.

brino likes this.
  16. Glenn Brooks

Glenn Brooks H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Woodinville
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Littlemachineshop.com has a nice little benchtop bandsaw. Sort of a miniature of the 4 x 6 floor bandsaws. I bought one and have been generally happy with it. It's quite. And takes up very little desktop space. My main complaint is I always try to cut larger stock and end up ruining the blades. It has a two speed switch: low for cutting metal and high for softer materials, like plastic and wood.

IMG_1647.JPG

Cutting 2" aluminium, this little saw would be ideal.

Glenn

17. bl00

bl00 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    .Chantilly
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Why does this ruin the blades? Do they get too hot?

18. CarlosA

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I was interested in this one. All of the knockoffs ive seen on youtube have been very noisy.

The port-a-band method seems like a good one, maybe I can adapt a quiet variable speed DC motor to take the edge off of it.

19. CarlosA

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Here is a google images photo of it. It is very quiet, but also kind of limited and much slower than the 4x6 bandsaw. Uses a standard power tool motor 1725 RPM, with a rubber bushing between the motor and the worm drive. I also do use the vertical mode of the 4x6 from time to time, and its easier to rig up a way to cut pieces much larger than it was designed. I have a big pile of thick aluminum plate (1/2" to 2") that I sometimes need to cut off a piece for whatever i`m doing.

[​IMG]

ELHEAD, itsme_Bernie and brino like this.
  20. Charles Spencer

Charles Spencer Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Worcester
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Here ya go. It's small and quiet.

hacksaw-frame.jpg

itsme_Bernie and Bill W. like this.
  21. Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Yuma
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

I agree. I don't have any quieter metal saw than my band saw. Even a torch or a mill makes more noise.

uncle harry likes this.
  22. umahunter

umahunter United States Active User Active Member

City:
    yuma
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Bandsaw is about as quit as you're gonna get

23. ferlum

ferlum United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Phoenix
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

I've had one of these for about three years. It has cut more aluminum and Delrin than I expected it to. Single speed and made for wood so it's not really an option if you're cutting anything hard.

If mine died tomorrow I'd feel like I got my money's worth out of it.

[​IMG]

24. darkzero

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Actually there are some quieter methods that I have seen. I'm sure it will take decades of training though to master them. Perhaps one might be able to convince ThisOldTony to teach them. :)

(Start at 2:53 if it doesn't start there for you)

(Start at 0:43 if it doesn't start there for you)

Looks like he did teach his son! (Start at 0:47 if it doesn't start there for you)

Ken from ontario likes this.
  25. Franko

Franko Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Richardson
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Northern Tool makes a benchtop horizontal bandsaw similar to the Little Machine Shop model. I got one and I've been quite satisfied with it. I caught it on sale and with a coupon paid a bit less than $200.

49466_700x700.jpg

Ken from ontario likes this.