Mike,

Looking good and getting better at it.

When you get finished there, I'll send you a compound and cross slide to my 15" lathe that needs some "touch up" scraping done to it.:D

Ken

Hi Ken,
thank you very much!!
I'd be proud to touch up your compound and cross slide! :grin:

Those little helpers, always show up when you are doing something in the shop. My little helper is my 3 year old grand daughter. She gets into my mill tooling and starts putting the drills/endmills into all of the open holes she can find. Any loos screws, carbide inserts laying around go into those holes, too. She loves playing with the step blocks, at least the smaller ones, can't quite pick up the bigger one's. When that happens, it's time to put her to work! Ken

Those little helpers, always show up when you are doing something in the shop. My little helper is my 3 year old grand daughter. She gets into my mill tooling and starts putting the drills/endmills into all of the open holes she can find. Any loos screws, carbide inserts laying around go into those holes, too. She loves playing with the step blocks, at least the smaller ones, can't quite pick up the bigger one's. When that happens, it's time to put her to work! Ken
Hi Ken,
my son is interested in all the shop tools and in the movie making process too!
i hope some of it sticks, he could be really good starting as young as he is!
thanks for watching!

well, back at the salt mines...
were getting a lot better contact, the straightedge is starting to hinge correctly on the surface plate.
Hinging, for the uninitiated, is the act of handling one end of the piece being scraped on the inked up surface plate in an arcing fashion, to see the point of greatest contact for the opposing end, which is about 1/3 the distance from the end of the work when a properly scraped piece is hinged.

View attachment 181647

and after a few more heavy scraping cycles....

View attachment 181650

as indicated by the light blue, the surface contact has broadened greatly.
another score of cycles will be necessary to call it flat!

You are holding your scraper at to high an angle and not putting enough pressure on the stroke, grind your blade to a flatter radius, 12cm and use shorter strokes, you should actually make cast iron dust when scraping.

you can tell all that from a couple still pictures, wow you must be a master!

for the record, the scraping in those first pictures was done with antique carbon steel scrapers.
the old style scrapers are ground to a 0* end relief
the radius on the scraper was already pre-formed by a much more experienced scraper than you or i. i just sharpened the tool and put it back to use.

Last edited:
Back