Scrap Yard Treasure

Say what?
o_O
Do you taste it too?
;)

no- i don't taste it, not on purpose anyway:D
metals when they are being machined and smelted, you may notice they give off distinct smells- not unlike different types of wood

btw-stainless steel will remove the fishy smell from your hands after cleaning fish.
(i give a small rod of 304 all my fishing buddies and tell em' to rub the ss on their hands whenever they need to freshen up- pretty sure other grades/shapes of ss will work, i just get a lot of 304 rod scraps)

btw-stainless steel will remove the fishy smell from your hands after cleaning fish.
(i give a small rod of 304 all my fishing buddies and tell em' to rub the ss on their hands whenever they need to freshen up- pretty sure other grades/shapes of ss will work, i just get a lot of 304 rod scraps)
Yeah, they sell a small pear shaped chunk as a magic hand cleaner for fish although I havnt seen these for a while.
I never found it to be particularly effective especially after filleting salmon.

found a metal recyclers close to me that sells to the public.
Not cheap but cheaper than new.
I collect car batteries that people wont pay to dump then take them there and swap for brass for casting.
All the metals are sorted so its easy to find something to use.

I just found another scrap yard that sells to the public. It is hit or miss as to what they may have but they are only 10 miles from me so may take a trip there once in awhile to see what they have.

Agri-Supply, (a farm supply company, obviously) doesn't have scrap or salvage metal, but it does stock a tremendous variety of farm machinery and parts for farm machinery--and, at very realistic prices--just a walk around the store will give you more ideas than you can believe for a source of metal for your shop, they utilize heavy shapes and bars in their manufacture and often I've found material I could cut out what I need from, and still have a lot left over for other projects, and at a price for an implement part that is way less than new raw material costs, I've often found it to be more competitive than salvage yard prices, and, it's a lot cleaner than a salvage yard to shop in.
olcopper

Back