Scrap Yard Stuff

DoNoHo

Registered
Registered
Hello, I'm trying to make sense out of why I am finding more machines in the scrap yard than on a list for sale? I bought a atlas Leigh in the scrap yard, took it home and make very good parts with it. teaching my son and his friends to use it.

Now today my friend at the scrap yard call me and said a dump trailer just dump a mess of Bridgeport parts on his yard come and look.

I spent 4 hrs looking for parts and putting them in the building and looking at what we have. the best I can tell its parts of three [3] machines. the base is 188091 1977 Bridgeport 9 x 42 with a one shot oilier. It has a trak dro with it, i found all of it except the power cable.

Tomorrow morning im going back and look at it real good. I think im going to buy all the stuff if i got the funds. I got a old Bridgeport with a serial number of 585 and i cam make a lot of good parts with it. It works good enough to make valve guides that last longer than org ones.

Ill keep you all informed on what happens.

I think it has to do with a couple of things, one of them being modern accounting practices. Since businesses depreciate assets, it isn't worth their while to sell them when they replace them, so they get dumped.

Or, getting parts to fix something and paying a craftsman to do the repairs don't make economic sense.

Or they have a "5S" program that makes you throw out perfectly good pieces of equipment and tools that you don't need very often, but will cost you huge money in the future because you threw away the tool you use once every 10 years to service that really big machine that is indispensable to your business.

Whats he want for it all? My neighbor got a J head for free, let it sit for years, finally took it to the dump. He never even put power to it. I wish I new him back then.

Are you wanting to fix it up or sale it off? Scrap prices, I would think theres a good chance it's worth it either way

Hi All
Got it all home, put it together, the head locked up. took it back off, took it apart. the boring gear is broken, took it out and back together.
Runs, no bearing noise ! yea it works.

Had to buy it by the pound, total 800$ siting in my shop. now i got to fix it.

I have wonted another mill so i don't need to change over my rotation table. i got it now.

Does anybody know the name of the R8 head? there's not a name on it.

O yea there was a 225-150 power feed in the box i got it also.

Wow what a day.

Picture 184.jpgPicture 182.jpgPicture 160.jpgPicture 185.jpgPicture 183.jpgPicture 182.jpg

Picture 185.jpg Picture 184.jpg Picture 183.jpg Picture 182.jpg Picture 160.jpg

Congrats on the cool find!

Nice catch. Color me with envy.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Holy crap! A bridgeport for $800, wow. I wish I had someone in a scrap yard that called me when cool things showed up.

Nice find on that Bridgeport Mill.

:thumbzup3:

I'm beginning to forge a relationship with one of the scrap yards in my area. The same one Bill G uses. With these places, you almost have to get into a routine of stopping in once a week. Find out what day they ship out most of their stuff and try to get there before they get rid of it. A lot of larger scrap yards don't want to be bothered with a little guy like us foraging through their inventory but some of the small places will because they make better money selling to us than selling it for scrap and it's still a great deal for us.

Back