Scored a nice Baldor grinder

Great score! Congrats!

I think mine was made in 1973, so it may have an older style light. It's a GA9 model. The problem I have is that someone ripped the guts out of the lamp socket. So I need to either replace the socket or graft the missing parts from another socket.

GA9.jpg
Socket.jpg

Here is a Baldor 7 inch I just restored with sealed bearings to eliminated the gits oilers. I made the shield out of Lexan, right side will be for a wire wheel.
GRINDER.jpg

Nice - like the color. Mine does not have zirks, maybe it's a new version with sealed bearings?

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Bd2_zpsl5mfylmp.jpg

Bd1_zpsvkkuscqs.jpg

Looks good, I like your Nomex idea as it will keep the grime that goes everywhere down a bit more. Nice addition.

Nomex is so cool. It breathes well until it gets really hot. The fibers swell in the heat, stopping the heat from reaching their wearer. Brilliant material and excellent choice. I will definitely copy that when I have such a need. Thank you for sharing!

Back