SB CL 185c

Randy:
Finally got the lathe home. We had to drive through storms, rain and hail, but finally made it. There are a couple of apparent problems that I noticed. Number one, the "clamping part, lower part" of the carriage lock is missing. I'm pretty sure I could make one of these. I am looking for a picture / drawing of one so I can see how the original one was fabricated. There are no mounting bolts for either the follow rest or the steady rest. It looks like there must be a shoulder and possibly a short bevel on the original bolt that would mate up with the threaded hole in the carriage. The threaded is smaller than I expected in the carriage mounting holes.. Last but not least: The device that closes and locks the Steady Rest closed isn't there!! I need a picture or drawing of that also. I've figured out a way to "rig" something up that would work, but I would rather see how the original was made.
I did get about 4 extra gears with the machine. I haven't even got to unload it yet, still on the trailer. I hope the get the front end loader back by Monday then tackle it at that point in time.
As an added note 3 chucks came with it. A 3 jaw scroll chuck, a 3 jaw "Buck" type chuck, and a 4 jaw chuck. They are all pretty rusty but I'll take care of that soon
Pictures ? Good luck with your new lathe. you may want the rebuild kit that Steve Wells sells on ebay. Replace the wicks and get to know the machine in the process.

Congrats! Pictures required.

There is an awful lot of information, manufacturers publications and such, on vintagemachinery.org. It's well worth a wander through. For this specific case, they have the parts manual.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3463

I have a telescoping center rest. I'll dig it out and get some pictures this weekend.

Perfect! We have our granddaughter this weekend so I'll go out to the shop Monday and count gear teeth.

Pictures ? Good luck with your new lathe. you may want the rebuild kit that Steve Wells sells on ebay. Replace the wicks and get to know the machine in the process.

I'll check that out later today. Thanks for the information, I'm sure the machine needs a little TLC.

Congrats! Pictures required.

There is an awful lot of information, manufacturers publications and such, on vintagemachinery.org. It's well worth a wander through. For this specific case, they have the parts manual.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3463
I have a telescoping center rest. I'll dig it out and get some pictures this weekend.

Well, I started cleaning up the lathe yesterday. This machine must of been idle for some time. The grease, gunk and grime is "dried" and "bonded" to the machine. I have been using WD, and a few other things, including non-flammable brake cleaner to cut the grease. Plus lots of oil, it was pretty dry. Paint is chipped almost every where.
It's not a CL 185c as advertised. Lots of cleaning revealed it is a CL 175C, with a 6' bed. I checked the extra gears, there isn't a 127 included.
I'm not real good with the computer, but I am going to try to get some pictures posted.

CL175 should be a 6 speed 13" lathe. There will be only three steps on the flat belt pulley rather than four of a CL145.

Back