SB Apron Repair

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I mentioned in an earlier thread that I removed the apron from my 16 to address a sticky clutch. When I took it off I found that the worm gear bushings were wasted. Not a huge surprise considering the lead screw made a couple of revs before the carriage moved. Now being cheap, I wasn't going to order dura-bar for material. I thought I would just make them from bronze but didn't have a piece large enough. After searching through all of the cast stuff I had I decided to use part of a Logan motor assembly. The ID of the piece I cut out of it was slightly too large so after turning the two bushings I had to press some oilite bushings in them. Again being cheap I used old bushings I had taken out of another machine in the past. I had to turn and bore them to size anyway. My planning was a lacki20170212_085257.jpg 20170212_085532.jpg 20170212_085636.jpg 20170212_123425.jpg 20170212_153219.jpg ng a bit. I should have drilled the holes for the mounting pins before I turned the OD of the cast to size. Because of my mistake I had to make a sacraficial collar to mount on them while I drilled the holes. Surprisingly everything fit nice and it's back up and running. Total cost: labor. My pics aren't real good but I'll post them anyway.

Nice job. Good looking lathe. I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it.

Thanks. It's really a pretty nice machine, but it's too long for me. I just bought it to resell it. It's 60" between centers. I have 15 x 40 that does everything I need to do.

I know what you're talking about, mine has a 10' bed. I don't need it all the time but when you do it's sure nice.

Back