[Newbie] Sb 10k Vs G4003g

bss1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all. This is my first post and I am seeking input on equipment. Here is the dilemma, I currently have a South bend 10K lathe that is in excellent condition. An absolute cherry, almost like new condition. I am considering selling it as I just haven't been using it and I currently need the space. Sometime down the road when I have more time and space I would like to acquire another machine to replace it.

To those that have used both machines, would something along the lines of a G4003G, or PM 1340 GT seem comparable in terms of quality, rigidity, capability and capacity? Obviously the Grizz or PM will spin a larger object and have bigger spindle bores.

I just don't want to sell this machine and end up disappointed with one of the newer Chinese or Taiwanese machine. I know I could look for another American made lathe, but it is so hard to find one in good usable condition. If one of those machines is not an equivalent or an upgrade then I will just have to figure a way to keep the 10K.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of experienced people here who will off excellent advice.
I have sold lots of equipment that I wished I had kept. Bought lots of equipment I wish I hadn't found:mad:. to me if you don't have room and are not using it you may as well sell it. There are tons of lathes out there to choose from. To me that's half the fun, being on a mission to find the next prize.
That being said my wife will probably have to pry the chuck key from my cold dead fingers before I get rid of the lathe I have now:grin:

Both the 4003G and especially the 1340 GT are in the next size class of lathes, so it's an apple vs oranges comparison.

A 10K is a pretty small lathe, are you sure you don't have room? It's certainly smaller than either of the lathes you mentioned, so if you are tight for space now...

Put it this way, if you sell your cherry 10K assume you won't find another that's similar. Any other 10K you see will either be way more expensive that what you got for yours or it will be well-worn.

You can store it at my house. I'll find the room somewhere:

right wall 5 s.jpg

My old friend Rocco always said "Never sell your toys."

Yes I agree those two machines are a bit larger in capacity. However from a physical size standpoint, my 10K with long bed and under mount cabinet has a length of 64". That appears to be about the same footprint give or take a few inches of the other two machines I am considering. I'm interested in trying to chamber some barrels some day and having the larger spindle bore would seem to be a big plus.

My space problem is temporary. I agree with you in that I looked at bunch of machines and know I will never find another in the condition this one is in. I just don't want to sell it and then end up disappointed with the newer equipment. I guess I figured someone may have gone through this same process starting with a SB 9 or 10 and upgraded to one of these machines and would have some positive or negative feedback to share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never had an SB10 but I had a Logan 11 and my G4003G blows it away in terms of rigidity and surface finish.

A number of people in this forum have the PM1340GT, it is a very well built lathe and would far exceed the work envelope and rigidity of the SB 10K. I do not see that you would be giving up anything (except $), and would be very happy with the PM1340GT. I can't comment specifically on the Grizzly G4003G, certainly a capable (and bigger) machine, but the PM1340GT is at the next tier up in my opinion. The G4003G has had some quality issues reported and motor problems (vibration affecting the finish and failure). I considered it several years ago, but when with the PM1340GT and have been very satisfied with it. Excellent all around lathe, and much better built then my Chinese machines. The PM1340GT is about $2K more than the G4003G. There is also the Eisen 1236GH which is smaller version of the PM1340GT, it is also made in Taiwan and priced very close to the G4003G when you factor in that it comes with a DRO. Size wise all these machines would be very close in their foot print, a 1236 would be about 4" (if that) shorter overall.

Mksj

On the Mathews website it shows the length of the lathe as 70 inches. Is that measurement accurate?

Thanks for everyone's input. It is greatly appreciated.

Yes, the PM1340GT is ~70" long by ~18" wide. Great machine. This is very close to the Eisen 1236 dimesions, the G4003G is about 9" shorter.

Back