Saw blades

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
probably been answered before; but i'm not on this section a lot. so, with the price of used hand saws at garage sales ect. does a hand saw blade make a good blade that won't dull very easy. with the thin material, they would be used for shop use and kitchen knives. any advice on the construction. i would be cutting the saw blade with a grinder and clean up on the belt sander

if i understand your question correctly, i would think that sawblades are made from high carbon steel.
the steel should be sufficient for making knife blades

thanks, i was pretty sure about that. it is also my understanding that older Dissoen (sp.?) hand saws are more desirable because of the quality of the steel used. keep your eyes out for them at garage/estate sales.

Saw steel is usually good for edged tools but you will need to harden and temper it.

I keep four of these on hand for big meat-cutting jobs. I use them for trimming and cubing big chunks of meat (e.g. for making sausage) as well. It's a very handy size and shape for a lot of kitchen tasks and seems well suited to construction from a sawblade:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vi...boning-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35347517.html
(random link, looks like Victorinox doesn't make them anymore so I just found another site with a good picture.)

If you're careful you can preserve the temper on the original blade - attach a heat sink of some kind when cutting off and then go slow when grinding. Finish on a stone or wet wheel.

GsT

Hand saw blades can be sharpened with a file. As such, I would consider them too soft for knife blades for my taste. I would harden and temper any knives made from saw blades.

RJ : thanks; i forgot about that. when i get around to making the blades; i will post a thread about how i should go about hardening and tempering. until then i will have forgotten the instructions.

Friends of mine have made knives from power hacksaw blades, but they must be annealed a bit to reduce the hardness.

Back