Salvaged an old Rotating Bolt Bin

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Picked this badly crushed/mangled mess up Friday at the scrap yard missing a few parts and would barely spin. After a quick trip to the carwash, a few strokes of a hammer, a few choice words & making some missing parts it is now usable. I'm gonna try and flip it on Craig's List for $250. Looks a little rough still but functions well.

34" dia. and almost 6' tall

Bolt Bin (7).JPG Bolt Bin (6).JPG Bolt Bin (5).JPG Bolt Bin (4).JPG Bolt Bin (3).JPG Bolt Bin (2).JPG Bolt Bin (1).JPG

Charley - Good save and great repair job. Those rotating bolt bins are an excellent idea for any shop.
I'd give you $250 for it, but the freight costs might be a killer. :eek:

A friend had one made out of about 6 old plow discs set on agricultural bearings in the centre, and divided with strips of metal, in similar fashion to yours. I've been going to build one for years (I've got a pile of discs), but a 1000 other jobs seem to have regular priority. :)

If it was mine ,it isn't for sale. I can think of a ton of used for this wonderful device.

Cool bolt bin. I have an old bolt bin pictured below. The drawers are marked for different size CAR'E bolts and TIRE bolts. The bolt bin came from an old hardware store and was rumored to have been in an early car repair shop. With some research I found out the markings mean carriage bolts and tire bolts...both names of bolts used, not for cars, but for horse and buggy type carriages. The company that made these was in Chicago in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The base is stationary and the top rotates on a pipe shaft like your metal one. The rotating drawers are wedge shaped like pieces of pie. As you can see I still haven't cleaned it up (don't want to ruin the patina) or figured out how I'm going to use it in my shop yet, but that's in the works.

IMG_0725.JPG

Cool bolt bin. I have an old bolt bin pictured below. The drawers are marked for different size CAR'E bolts and TIRE bolts. The bolt bin came from an old hardware store and was rumored to have been in an early car repair shop. With some research I found out the markings mean carriage bolts and tire bolts...both names of bolts used, not for cars, but for horse and buggy type carriages. The company that made these was in Chicago in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The base is stationary and the top rotates on a pipe shaft like your metal one. The rotating drawers are wedge shaped like pieces of pie. As you can see I still haven't cleaned it up (don't want to ruin the patina) or figured out how I'm going to use it in my shop yet, but that's in the works.

That is insanely cool. Very lucky find.

Jeff

Back