Safety Police

Safety is the first thing you remember after the incident. I myself and (all the little voices in my head) do not feel offended if someone points out an unsafe condition. Might also save someone else from a life lesson. I see no harm to point out these things were all here to learn. Along the same lines my Grandpa always said " If you don't respect the machine then its time to walk away"

In a one man shop without supervision or support it is easy to get lax about taking care of yourself. The outcomes of accidents can also be far worse when no one has your back. The occasional thought of that 'alone' keeps me toeing the line and taking care of myself as if it really matters. It does...

In my shop, anyone at any time can tell me that I am doing something unsafe. In fact, I encourage it strongly. Too bad I am usually there alone...

Yeah, but we hobby machinists talk to ourselves all the time. We even caution ourselves, too. This is normal for us but in the rest of the world it is called Schizophrenia. :)

Anyone offended by a safety reminder probably needs to avoid posting and go about their business/hobby the way it seems fit to them. Not to belittle but some seem to have a corner on the ignorance and arrogance mkt. .

I sincerely thank all of you for these replies. I was kind of hoping that those who refer to us as Safety Police would have come forward and explain why they feel that way. but OK, it was not meant to happen.

There have been times when even I bordered on unsafe practices. We all have, but that does not make it right. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. My bad, I pay the piper.

I will close by saying, it's your job to work in safety, we can only help with advice.

"Billy G"

And let's not forget to be safety role models for our kids and grand kids when they work with us in the shop. My grand daughter 15 loves working on projects with me in the shop. Soon as she enters the shop, she gets her special safety glasses and we do a safety check, glasses on and secure, hair back, no loose clothing or jewellery. It has become as automatic as turning on the lights.

David

And out of that 18,122 safety advisors, a large percentage have either had or have seen accidents happen in the shop, therefore giving some measure of authority on giving safety advice. Some have been at the trade professionally for many years and seen some pretty ugly stuff. It is my firm wish that those who have never had an accident or witnessed an accident or the aftermath never, ever do. If I try to help someone see the risk in what they are about to attempt, it's only out of genuine personal concern. It's because I care. And because I know what can happen, even in a split second. Please try to take any warning given in that spirit. We're only looking out for you.

I was kind of hoping that those who refer to us as Safety Police would have come forward and explain why they feel that way. but OK, it was not meant to happen.

I'd say a lot of it comes down to how people word their advise. I've never experienced anything bad or even remotely aggressive here. However on YouTube, if one or two people had been standing in-front of me and said to my face what they posted, I would have laided them out.

Some people don't seem to know the difference between constructive criticism, and just being a dic............

Last edited:
I agree with Dan, wording is everything especially here when emotions can not be conveyed easily. For some situations it might be nice if there was a sub forum where someone could ask if a setup or procedure is safe and get answers to help mitigate the risks. Remember these words come from a person with enough knowledge to get in trouble but enough smarts to ask how it should be done if needed. I am fortunate to be able to ask a machinist friend locally how to do things and be safe some may not have that convenience. You know I just had a thought, people here really do care about us newbies and everyone else. :encourage:

Back