Safety Police

when i see my guys doing something careless or dangerous i stop them and show them the proper way,usually they think i am "fathering" them,so be it, any injury avoided to me is a good day

A lot of good points here. I am in the group that will point out a potential hazard but if it has been mentioned several times I don't add fuel to the reason people go to sleep in safety meetings. Safety starts with each one of us and I feel an obligation to speak up when hazardous conditions arise. My $0.02 worth.
Have a good day
Ray

^^^this is important to re-read..

Most accidents that happen to a person are preventable and are not accidents at all but are in fact probable outcomes. Anyone that has said, "I told you so", has probably been labeled a Safety Cop, but the reality is that they are an Injury Predictor - they see it coming a mile away.

This is where good shop practices come into play. Maybe the sub forum could be focused on a list of good safe and proven practices for newbies and vets alike while discussing the potential injuries if the practices are not adopted.

"True" accidents that you cant see coming, a light fixture falling from the ceiling, a person passing out due to an unknown medical issue, a spindle crash due to mechanical failure are very difficult to avoid without prevention and prediction plans in place.

Guy I know lost two fingers in the elbow of a backhoe arm while changing out the cylinder. He used nylon straps to lift the arm. The straps were frayed and let go at the exact moment he put his fingers in the holes of the elbow to check alignment. There was a pile of chains sitting in the bucket.

Yea, I'm not talking about nicking myself with an Exacto knife (been there, done that), I was referring to using large tools that can maim or kill. In the scenario you describe for example, I would never even dream of sticking my fingers in that elbow. That's just stupid. I would have used a drift pin, or bolt, or even the very piece that is supposed to go there in order to check alignment.

On the other hand, I'm not one to stick my nose into other people's business either. People are going to do whatever they want, and that's fine by me. (see my sig) ;)

I don't know about the rest of the world. However, in Minnesota Fire and EMS. It's called what we do.
My Law Enforcement friends say same.
The DSM -5 (https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/practice/dsm) offers a different definition for Schizophrenia.

Daryl
MN

It may be comforting or dis-comforting but its the same in Wisconsin EMS; On the positive side Ive had some great conversations with myself

To answer the OP'S question. I don't think anyone minds and safety reminder, it's when you get the fifteenth or twentieth reminder on the same post where it gets annoying.
Think of it this way, if you were working in a plant and came back from lunch and forgot to put on your safety glasses. The first person that sees you reminds you to put them on and you do. You wouldn't expect every conversation for the rest of the day with anybody in the plant to include a safety glasses reminder.
That being said keep up the safety reminders just limit it to five or six per incident. If you miss out on reminding someone, be patient there will be another chance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Most accidents that happen to a person are preventable and are not accidents at all but are in fact probable outcomes.
True, but I think we call it accidents because the act isn't on purpose. The light fixture falling from the ceiling was preventable if mounted correctly by the electrician.

True, but I think we call it accidents because the act isn't on purpose. The light fixture falling from the ceiling was preventable if mounted correctly by the electrician.

Good point. Everything can be reduced into its parts. I was trying to make a distinction in that the dumb accidents we seem to be referring to are usually the fault of the victim being reckless.

The worse thing you can say is I will only do it this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer the OP'S question. I don't think anyone minds and safety reminder, it's when you get the fifteenth or twentieth reminder on the same post where it gets annoying.
Think of it this way, if you were working in a plant and came back from lunch and forgot to put on your safety glasses. The first person that sees you reminds you to put them on and you do. You wouldn't expect every conversation for the rest of the day with anybody in the plant to include a safety glasses reminder.
That being said keep up the safety reminders just limit it to five or six per incident. If you miss out on reminding someone, be patient there will be another chance.

I suggest the fifteen or twenty redundant reminders are caused by a different issue than consciously piling on the safety bandwagon.
I think many contributors don't read all the preceding replies so don't know, or care, they're being (very) redundant.
I don't think there's a way to fix the redundancy issue in an open forum, so I try not to let it slow me down much.

PS: I'm subscribing to this thread so I can find it next time a safety related comment (from me) is not well received.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/proposed-new-commandment-safety.34438/

Some of the same contributors to both threads. Interesting.

Bill mentioned 18,122 members. I'll bet many times that number of others (non-members) view our threads.

I don't like imagining that an innocent picked up an unsafe practice here and was injured.

Nothing that we post should promote or condone unsafe practices.

Glad to see many replies here supporting promoting safety.

Back