[Read!] Safety! Long Hair and Machine Tools!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15/florida-teen-hair-ripped-out-by-machine-in-wood-shop-class/?test=latestnews

Hair should be TIED back and a hat worn
No open toed shoes
No ties
Safety glasses at all times

This is listed on the Home Page for those who join this site, but it bears repeating here:

Warning!

Use caution when using machinery, power equipment and tools to reduce the risk of personal injury. Always use safety equipment. Always wear safety glasses or approved eye protection. Dust mask, non-skid safety shoes, hard hat or hearing protection should be worn for appropriate conditions. Read and understand all instructions. Keep your work area clean and well lit. Cluttered work environments and poor lighting may cause accidents. Do not operate power tools around explosive materials. Be aware of flammable liquids, gases or dust. Power tools can create sparks which may ignite the dust or fumes. Keep bystanders, children and visitors out of the work area. To avoid distractions that could cause injury to you or others, all visitors should be kept away from the work area. Do not operate power tools while tired or under the influence of drugs, alcohol or medication. A moment of inattention may result in serious personal injury. Loose clothing, jewelry or long hair can be caught in moving parts. Do not overreach. Proper footing and balance enables better control of the tool. Store idle tools and machinery out of reach of children or other untrained persons. Machinery and tools are dangerous in the hands of untrained users.

I have witnessed a lot of shop accidents over the years. Some could have been easily avoided. This one with the hair is one. Look closely, the hair is out of the back of her head, not the sides. Looks like she was distracted and when she quickly turned to look the hair was wisped into the moving spindle. Sorry, I try to take all accidents apart to see what caused them. One you forgot Nelson, always be aware of your surroundings. Machines have no conscience.

"Billy G"

have you seen the video where the guy got sucked completely through his lathe.
i didnt share it here and i wont. because it is way too graphic but the only thing left of him was from the waist down you couldnt even find his head in the pile of meat. even at 50 rpm it will suck you in faster than you can react.
steve

have you seen the video where the guy got sucked completely through his lathe.
i didnt share it here and i wont. because it is way too graphic but the only thing left of him was from the waist down you couldnt even find his head in the pile of meat. even at 50 rpm it will suck you in faster than you can react.
steve

I saw the stills from that one.
Pierre

I have witnessed a lot of shop accidents over the years. Some could have been easily avoided. This one with the hair is one. Look closely, the hair is out of the back of her head, not the sides. Looks like she was distracted and when she quickly turned to look the hair was wisped into the moving spindle. Sorry, I try to take all accidents apart to see what caused them. One you forgot Nelson, always be aware of your surroundings. Machines have no conscience.

"Billy G"

I'm going to add that one.

That was the reason I said tying your hair isn't enough. If it whips into the spindle, it will pull you right in.

:tiphat:Nelson

Had a teen lose the whole scalp under a 60's vintage car w/ the driveshaft spinning (circa 1972). Kids need the supervision living in our otherwise 'fairly' safe environment.

How times have changed--------------I have several old books that I refer to often. One in particular --HOW TO RUN A LATHE by South Bend Lathe Inc. was printed from 1914 to 1958. All through this book, there are pictures of students and adults operating a lathe without eye protection. Some are wearing neck ties, long sleeved shirts and gloves!!!!!!!
When I was an apprentice---I wasn't allowed to wear any jewelry, gloves or sleeved shirts. It goes without saying that safety glasses were REQUIRED!!! I was told by my teacher that there was no exceptions and that I would be fired if I broke the rules.
In six years, I saw three young men that couldn't follow the rules and were fired!!!

I'll bet the student was told/aware of the hazard of her long hair in the shop but like a lot of people she just forgot for an instant........and thats all it takes. Confinement of long hair is written into Occupational Safety Law regulations for workplaces but schools are not workplaces so sometimes rules get stretched a little, unfortunately for the student in this case. Many workers have been scalped over the years by shop equipment and that is why laws are written. Most of the safety regulations are written in someone's blood.

Just a reminder of my apprentice days. I was running a radial arm drill and didn't think to break the chips. One of the chips curled out from the drill and became long enough that it dragged a rag from the pocket of my shop coat. No damage done or any injuries, but it was enough to make me very careful around moving spindles from then on.:nuts:

Sandro Di Filippo

Back