Safely Moving A Surface Plate

It looks like they where joined to make the top plate taller.
Are the two pieces of granite different colors?
Are you sure it wasn't made as one unit?

It looks like they where joined to make the top plate taller.
Are the two pieces of granite different colors?
Are you sure it wasn't made as one unit?

Same colour, and I'm not 100% sure on anything at this point...

Here are some additional pics I just snapped...
IMG_20150222_104807_zpsqj2oef54.jpg
Above, I flipped it on it's edge to get a closer look at what I believe is the glue joint. This is the zoomed out version of the first pic in this thread. The white diagonal white at the corner is from me attempting to cut the adhesive.
IMG_20150222_104815_zpspzaulvzx.jpg
The manufacturer badge of the top plate...
IMG_20150222_105115_zpskkobvzvo.jpg
The plinth plate's badging...
IMG_20150222_105046_zpszzz6khfo.jpg
finally the current home, and different perspective of the whole unit

Might have been a cheap way to add ledges to a good plate. The bottom part might have been worn or not made flat enough for spec. Can you slide it down planks laying on the steps? Spread the load out over more steps. Bring it in through a basement window the same way? Just don't try to hold it back from below. A rope and slings around it and held from the top of the steps. Calculations on specific gravity of granite and cubic feet of the total plate should put it around 500 lbs.
3x2x.5 = 3cu ft
specific gravity of granite =~170 lbs/cu ft
3 x 170 = 510 lbs.

I believe it is as intended.
When used on a stand, the base was contained by an angle iron top.

jim18655: Ya, that's what I'm thinking as well. I wouldn't understand why a perfectly good plate would have been bought for the purpose of simply raising the height of another, but if a junker was already in hand then why not.

I just measured the basement windows and you are of course right. The 24" dimension has tons of breathing room. Only pitfall is the excessive amount of snow entombing those windows at the moment...lol. Small hurdle really. Would be tougher clearing a path to the window. On the plus side the frost will keep the plate from sinking to the middle of the earth.

Your math regarding the overall weight worked out within a handful of pounds of mine.

Chiptosser: Still not completely sure if it truly is the way it was intended. The two separate name plates is enough to question it for me. All the other examples of Collins plates I looked at, although having a plinth of some fashion, none of them used a surface plate from a different manufacturer as one. Let alone a manufacturer from the other side of the country.

At lest the weather wont rust the plate till you get it inside , advantages with the granite ones their :)

Looks like the most solid base for a surface plate ever. Its funny wondering the history of tools and the journies they have made.

Stuart

I have seen some surface plates in a Metrology lab that were actually made from solid stone like the one you have. The design was so that it would sit in/on a MASSIVE table for stability. Your mention of a groove on three sides with glue on the fourth gives me pause. Take a look at the bottom of the grooves and see if there is an adhesive line or not. If not, then you don't have two pieces stuck together, but one massive piece of stone. Either way, I really don't see any way to get them apart if they are glued together.

Keep us informed!

It seems like the plates either are a single piece or a laminate as fgducan suggests. The two different nameplates would indicate otherwise except for the fact that the Rock of Ages nameplate is for a resurfacing reconditioning. It is possible that the plate is a Collins and that it was sent to Rock of Ages for the rework. You have an asset tag on the plate. Have you tried contacting Audio Magnetics to see if you can get a history?

I just got a look at your pictures and have some bad news. That is ONE solid hunk of stone! That is just like the one in the metrology lab and is solid, not glued together. The stickers indicate it was made by Collins Microflat Co., Resurfaced by Rock of Ages in Vermont on 3/31/93 and at some time was the property of Audio Magnetics.

Well that certainly clears up the dual badges. The asset tag belonged to the company that liquidated with the auction. Not sure if they are completely defunked or only down sizing.

I'll be honest and say I'm still doubting the single chunk of stone angle. The mating edges just don't jive with a ground shoulder. I'll take a real hard look tomorrow when the sun is nice and bright.

However, let's assume that it is a single piece or even an insoluble bond holding pieces together. How ridiculous is the notion of cutting them apart...? Would it trash the tolerance of the upper portion..? I have a granite counter top place locally that might have the capability to slice them. Now this isn't something I'd entertain if there's any risk of destroying the usefulness of the top portion. Just throwing the idea out there, as the thinner plate would make my life easier.

Back